Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Have the Jenn-Air JS48PPDUDB Side by side built in refrigerator.

Have the Jenn-Air JS48PPDUDB Side by side built in refrigerator. Purchased May 2011. Last night there was a "pop" as my wife opened the door and now the "door alarm" red light keeps flashing the the lights (in both refrig and freezer) are off. In fact the whole digital panel at the top right side is off when the door opens now and only the Door alarm light is flashing. i can hit the on/off button and reset but keeps doing it. It seems to be maintaining the cold temps which is good so not sure what issue is.....any ideas?
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back.
Okay when your wife heard the (pop) was it inside the refrigerator where she heard it ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not really sure , she had just opened the refrig door.....I am not even sure it is related - sounded like a bottle fell over inside or something but we didn't see anything.

okay well the reason I asked is because you said this is still cooling so I don't believe the main power board blew I think the control board inside blew. its part number 8 on this diagram and is in the control panel inside. you need to get to that and inspect it. you will most likely find a part of it burned up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is there diagrams that show me how to get to that? how to get into the control panel.

if I can get in there is that a part i can find and easily replace in there?

I will look but didn't see much on it. I'll have find more info. be back as soon as I can

I found a PDF file that may help you, click this blue link.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. Had to have a serice tech out ($350) but found the problem. Was not in the digital panel. There is a mechanism (pulley or something) that pulls the door shut. This mechanism had broke - thus the original popping noise I had described.

The effect is that you can close the door (but it will not self close any more) and seal is fine (so still cold) but the Door Alarm registers as there is significant risk of the door being left "cracked" open since user is used to it shutting itself that last couple inches.

The tech said he almost never sees this - very rare - but may be helpful info in the future.

Thanks for your help.

Oh wow, thanks for that info, that is rare and I've never seen that. anyway I'll keep that in mind, thanks and have a great day, Bryan