Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a BOSCH dishwasher Model: SHX46A which started about

We have a BOSCH dishwasher Model: SHX46A which started about 4 wash cycles ago making a noise [ loud compared to normal noise during cycle] at the very end of the wash cycle. When we open the door all looks fine. There are suds on the bottom but no water and all dishes are clean. We have made sure the filter at the bottom of the dishwasher is clean. So is this a simple issue we can handle without a repair person? If not is there an obvious part we need to replace and if so what is its number so it can be ordered when we call for a repair. We are in Tacoma, Washington 98407 so please include a list of companies who are able to repair this BOSCH model. What should the approximate repair cost charged by a company doing the work. Also can the repair easily be done at our home or will the dishwasher be taken out by the company to work on it at their site location. Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will assist you today. First this unit either done by you or by a repair company can be done in your home, there will be no reason to move the unit.

I would like you to try a couple of test before we can tell if you are going to need a service company or if this is a repair you can do yourself.

Please start a rinse only cycle on the dishwasher. Let it go for about 5 minutes and then open the door. I do not want you to add any detergent, and you can even run with out dishes. When you open the dishwasher, I need to know if you have suds, not a film of soap but suds. or if you see any water at all in the tub
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rick. I pushed the far right button entitled "rinse and hold". The noise was immediately present. I could not go five minutes since my selection stopped after maybe 15-20 seconds. Opening the door showed soap suds and some water on the bottom. Ed

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Please get a container or water and pour it into the unit as soon as you hit start. So push start, open door fill with two pitcher of water and close the door and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rick. The first time mentioned in my last reply I used the Rinse and Hold option but mistakenly thought it lasted only 15 seconds. This time after adding the two containers of water I waited longer and learned the washer restarts after the 15 second pause and runs on for about five minutes total.

When I did this now the second time we have suds on the bottom but all water has drained out. There was no noise this time as there was on the first try. Ed

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok it sounds like your water valve is bad, I would like you to redo the same procedure with the pitcher, but this time I want you to get some vegetable oil and add two cap fulls to the dishwasher,(This is for the suds). let it run the whole rinse cycle and let me know if you still have suds. I will look up the part for you while you do this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rick. Is olive oil OK to use? Ed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rick. We used Olive Oil as asked about before and did this without hearing from you. My wife is now home and put in the two caps of oil with two pitchers of water. Again we used the rinse and hold option. At the end of cycle we had the the noise back for about 15 second; she describes it as a "sucking" type noise. This time only a very few suds on the bottom and all water is gone. Also the length of the noise time on each rinse has been much less than when we did the full wash cycle before getting on line with you. So does this still sound like a water valve issue? Ed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
We are trying to keep this thread moving so we have an answer. Ed
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Yes the noise i believe is the pump is empty, and you are hearing a sucking noise. Can you take the toe kick off? If do then the first thing to do is make sure water is getting to the unit. You can just start to remove the water line and if you see water flowing out tighten back up. Please let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rick. Does this mean if we see water flowing out when line is loosened then water is getting to the pump. If so then I assume the problem would not be the valve. But if we see no water coming out then is it your thought the pump is fine but water is not getting to the pump due to a bad valve?

Ed

Rick. One more thing. This problem arose on the first wash load after we had the garbage disposal replaced. Maybe this somehow brought on this dishwasher problem. Your thought? Ed

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
My thinking is that the valve is bad, but i need to verify it is getting water. I do not think anything is wrong with the pump besides lack of water.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rick. I am not sure how qualified I am to start disconnecting water lines. In any event it will be a few hours before I can get down and take a look. Is there a way to be sure I am disconnecting the water line on the side of the valve going into the dishwasher rather than on the side feeding outside water into the valve?

Also do you think [see my addendum to my last reply] this dishwasher problem was possibly created by the replacement of our garbage disposal and if so please explain. Ed

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Usually it is a no drain issue following a garbage disposal replacement. Keys just check the water.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
When you take off the toekick you will see the waterline. You can do this just take your time. I will Get you through this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rick. I am back now. The toekick is off and I loosed the water line and water did start dripping out so i have tightened the nut back. So what now? Ed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I was unable to disconnect the dishwasher water line during the time Rick was on line so now that i have done so, observed water coming out of the connection and re-tightened I am wanting to learn if someone can pick up the thread where Rick left off.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. would you like to go on with me ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sure.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay so I see you got as far as seeing if water was reaching the machine and you said yes. so you are at the point where the valve is most likely the issue if this inst putting water in. this is the valve. Water Inlet Valve 00425458 Main Product View A water inlet valve can fail two different ways. Now on these machines the valve is a common failure so considering the valve is relatively cheap $36.00 I would replace it. heres a link to order the valve. water valve click that blue link. that should take care of your issue, i hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One thing more before I respond. My wife just reminded me of her questions which is to know if the valve problem etc might been caused by the mistake in the installation of the garbage disposal when the installer forgot to remove the plug on the bottom of the new disposal unit When the dishwasher went on an flushed out water it had no where to go except up out through the air vent.?

I will not see if your photo of the valve seems to match what i see. Ed

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
That's not usually a cause for the valve failure, these can fail either electrically or they can gum up inside and seize up. Did you get the drain straightened out ? Like I said these valve fail all the time so its just a coincidence that it happened around the same time as the drain issue. Now did you say that picture of the valve doesn't look like yours or does ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bryan. Give me an email address so I can send you two pictures. One shows what water we have at the drain looking down inside the dishwasher and the other the connection I loosed and then re-tightened. I presume the water hose shown is attaced to the valve but you will see your picture sows the color blue where my photo shows sometimg like yellow. Ed
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Well I cant give you an email but does your valve look like this one ? they do have different valves I might have showed the wrong one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bryan. I think all we see from a look straight at the connection is the plate which in your last photo is at the bottom. The yellow portion you show is actually not visable without taking apart more of the dishwasher. The blue piece I see is attaced to the plate and extends outward to connect with the waterline mentioned earlier. Ed
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

okay lets do this, can you open the door and look at the right side towards the top and theres a model number tag can you get me the rest of the model number. I will check again and get some diagrams also.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I asked the moderators to help you send some pictures, you should hear from them shortly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. Good thought
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yeah ! I didn't think of that ! hang in there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bryan. No word yet from the moderators. Ed
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
ugh ! I'll try again hang on, that's the one bad thing on here, its difficult for you to send pictures, your supposed to be able to click the paper clip at the top to do it but a lot of people say they cant figure it out .
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
heres a video that's supposed to show you how to do it. see if that works. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oIY-4BpoNI
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bryan. I am not sure you got my last message. The full model number is: SHX46A05UC/21

Also tommorow I will try calling a local repair person. Ed
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay perfect ! now the valve I showed you is the correct valve. Water Inlet Valve 00425458 Alternate Product ViewWater Inlet Valve 00425458 Alternate Product ViewWater Inlet Valve 00425458 Alternate Product View 3 different views, so we have that correct. this link will take you to order it. water valve I'm sure from what I read on all your posts that the valve will fix the issue. Sorry this took so long I know its late but I think we are all set. Let me know if theres anything else I can do. have a great night, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.