Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

Hello, I had my relay overload replace by a repair man about

I had my relay overload replace by a repair man about 3 months ago and than it stop working, I went and replaced the relay overload and the amana was working for about aweek than it started getting warm again. The model#ARBZZ14CB MFG# XXXXX and S/N# XXXXX Please advise what I should do next.
Thanks Judy Gill
Hello Judy my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Can you hear the relay and overload click every few minutes?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It sounds like you have a blockage to me. What a blockage will do sometimes is allow coolant to flow for a period of time then it will block the end of this tiny tube called a capillary tube where the coolant that the compressor circulates flows. This in turn causes coolant pressure to build in the compressor and then the compressor will pull too much amperage and trips the overload. The overload will continue to trip until the refrigerator is unplugged for a period of time to allow the pressure to drop. Sometimes then the blockage will fall away from the end of the capillary tube and then the compressor will restart and run again. This process will repeat over and over until the coolant lines are taken apart and then all of them blown out with high pressure nitrogen. That is what it sounds like to me and not the compressor. There is a small chance the compressor is going bad and if this is the case it could be burning up the overload relay sets.

Please ask if you have questions. If not please leave a rating for me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This sounds like a major repair Since the refrig is 10 yrs old is it worth fixing?

No I would not do that on one that age. You may get 4 or 5 more years out of it and the cost of repair compared with its age really does not make it worth it. Had it been 7 years or less I would have said yes, but about 15 years is all the use you can expect before things start breaking, other things.

Again please ask me if you have any questions.