Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

sub zero fridge mod #561. cust stated that bottom shelf of

Customer Question

sub zero fridge mod #561. cust stated that bottom shelf of fridge side is freezing food . help.not there yet , trying to figure this out before i go there
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So there are a few things you'll want to look at. First, make sure the door seal isn't torn because cold air sinks and if you have a ripped door seal toward the top or sides, the bottom will continue to get colder than the top. Next, peel back the door seal while the door is shut to make sure that the lights aren't stuck on causing the top to be warmer than the bottom.

Now if those things don't seem to be an issue, the next thing you want to do is shut the door and quickly open it to see if you hear the fan in the ceiling running. The fan switch at the top frame of the refrigerator is really sensitive and if the door drops or the switch starts to go bad, it won't turn the fan on to circulate the air. Since the cold air is created in the bottom, the bottom will freeze but the top won't be cold enough.

Lastly, you'd need to pull everything out of the refrigerator if everything else has checked good. Remove the back panel inside to expose the evaporator and make sure the coils are lightly frosted from top to bottom. If it's packed with frost or some frost in one area and not another, you could have a bad thermostat or a sealed system issue.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

hopefully i wont have to get back to you

That's alright. Either way, you can always post back as you know if you need anything else or more clarification on something in particular.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

im there now. the back wall of the fridge is covered with frost about halfwayup as well as maybe half of the side walls . looks like a defrost problem .i clicked the timer to start defrost. waiting to see what happens. fan works door gasket has about .25 in.gap at top left corner of gasket. doesnt hardly seem big enough to cause problem.light also shuts off as its supposed to.

So this refrigerator doesn't actively defrost. If the thermostat doesn't shut the compressor off it will over cool and create too much frost. So unless the door was left cracked open, the thermostat would need to be replaced after you verify the fan is running.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

part # and a diagram of where its at

The thermostat? The part number is 4201260. If you look at the back wall you'll see a long wire going down the back clipped onto the silver coils. That is your thermostat. That wire goes up to the knob that you turn to adjust the temperature at the top of the refrigerator section.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

once again, you rock.many thanks

Not a problem. Make sure there are no air leaks and please be certain the fan runs when the door is shut and not just when you press the switch. Those would be the other reasons the evaporator would completely frost over.