Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line

My whirlpool fridge is frosting on the top of the freezer door

My whirlpool fridge is frosting on the top of the freezer door and just inside the freezer. ModelG9IEFMWS01 . My local appliance repairman believed the door seal was the problem and installed a new one. That did not fix the problem at all.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

It does sounds like you have a bad door seal if the frost is only one the ceiling up toward the front of your refrigerator. Can you get on a step stool or something and look above the refrigerator. Do you see a gap along the top where the door seal meets up with the top frame of the cabinet? Or does it look flush and completely sealed?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Local repairman installed a brand new seal a few days ago. Did not help problem.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
I understand that, can you please just do a quick check for me please? Seals are not always installed properly because they must be formed with heat to seal properly.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I just checked top of door seal with flashlight looking directly down at it. It appears to be tight with cabinet.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Ok sounds good. So the next thing to check would be to make sure your drain line is draining. If you pull everything out of the freezer and remove the screws going into the back panel, remove that back panel and is there ice building up on the floor below the silver coils?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

That was first thing local repair guy did. Frosting ONLY just inside door.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Any other ideas??

Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 9 months ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 33 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 50,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.
How old is this unit ?

And are you located in a high humidity area?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I bought the fridge in 2010. The area is not especially humid, particularly the last few days.

did this just start or has it been this way ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

This started about three weeks ago and got progressively worse. Local tech changed gasket last Friday which did not help at all. I have had to use a hair dryer every day to keep the frosting down. Frosts up in 12 hours.

on the exterior of the unit in that same area is it cool to the touch or even possibly sweating?.

if the door gasket is good and has even been replaced .I have to suspect a void in the insulation .

On the door

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The outside of the cabinet and door are NOT cool to the touch in the freezer section. The outside of the fridge section actually cooler than the outside of the freezer section.

is this ice in the center of the freezer door ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The ice builds up on the inside top of the door and the inside of the cabinet at the very top. It starts at the top inside edge of the freezer cabinet and hangs down. After a while get iceicles hanging from the top of the inside of the door. No ice on the rear panel.

and is it more to the left or to the right of the cabinet
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Seems to start at the left (opening) side but quickly will go most of the way across the top.

ok lets take a peice of paper open the freezer door pit the paper at the top on the right side ,close the door and see if you can slide the paper up and across the top of the freezer , or does it hold tight all the way up and across the top of the door?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

OK. Took paper and slid it from right to left and up and down. I did not notice any difference. I could slide the paper but it took same amount of effort all the way across. The seal seemed pretty tight.

ok also check the freshfood door gasket the same way if you would !
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The top of the gasket in the fresh food section is less tight than the freezer gasket, more so on the right (hinge) side. It took less effort to move the paper but did take some effort.

does the freshfood section on any of the gasket appear to have any small gaps in the sealing surface
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

None visible to me.

ok if you are getting frost /ice in the freezer you have to have a air leak and if the door gaskets seem to be sealing properly or the insulation in the top of the freezer cabinet has a void in the insulation.

Which would be a manufactures issue.

Experience: 30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line