Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My front-loading washer flashes nd- will not drain - not sure

Customer Question

My front-loading washer flashes nd- will not drain - not sure what to do - when I try to spin or drain - I get a loud buzzing sound
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you are exactly right about the error code, "nd" means that the washer isn't draining. You will need to remove the lower front access panel along the bottom of the washer. There are just some plastic clips inside the seem at the top of the access panel that you need to push down with a putty knife and then the lower front panel will hinge forward and down. That will expose a 2 1/2" diameter plastic round cap that you can hand screw off turning it counter-clockwise. Be careful because all the water inside the tub will come pouring out so you'll need to have a wet vac or lots of towels to soak up all the water that comes out. Be sure to unplug the washer before you do any service as well.

Either way, remove the hand twist drain catch and clean out any debris you find behind the cap. If you find nothing, the drain pump itself would need to be replaced. To access this, you'd need to pull the entire washer out and remove the back panel behind the washer and go through the back in order to access the drain pump for replacement.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Tyler, I removed the access panel, but could not see or access the round cap- can I just leave it alone - turning off the water, for a week?? I don't have time to get a repair man today

Yes you can, but the down side is that if you have clothes inside there and there is water inside the tub, you can get mildew which is really not something you want to have inside the washer.

If you unplug the washer for at least 10 minutes, the wax motor will somtimes release and then you can open the door to remove the stuff inside which might be a better option if you're going to leave it for a week.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK- I'll try to unplug and see if I can get the sheets out - what about any water still in the washer??

To remove the water, you'd really need to unscrew that drain catch behind the access panel that you removed. The round drain catch should be in the lower right corner.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok- I unplugged the washer... and will wait 10 min. and try to open the door- to remove the sheets - don't think I'm able to unscrew the drain catch- afraid of what will happen when I do.... don't have a lot of time to play around or fix a water mess. Maybe just use towels to sop up the water in the barrel - and hope for the best....

Alright. Hopefully the door will open, but many times the water will need to be drained out if it feels like the water has gotten too high and refuses to allow the door to open for safety reasons.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok- got the door opened, and caught enough water to stop a flood - then emptied a bucketful of water out of the drum. I'll dry out the drum and leave the washer unplugged while I'm gone...will have to have a repairman come in later. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX help... is there anything else I should do , at this point??

Not a problem. Just drain out as much water as you can and that's about all you need to do until you can get a repairman out. Also, leave the door cracked open so that the remaining water doesn't create mold and mildew inside the washer.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your help - I REALLY wasn't sure what to do - but you guided me through it all. I was able to remove the sheets, empty all the water out of the drum, dry it out and leave the house without worrying. Now, I just have to get a repairman to finish the job, so I can use it again.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Not a problem at all and thank you for following up and letting me know how everything went. If you need anything else, just let me know.