Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a wall mounted oven (GE True Temp) and the panel is

I have a wall mounted oven (GE True Temp) and the panel is completely dead. However, when the door is opened the bolb inside the oven lights up. How do I solve this situation? Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Can you get us the model number ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It´s a wall-mounted GE oven. The model number is XXXXX 15BOD1BB.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay perfect, How much do you think you can do to this as far as testing ? do you have a volt meter and tools ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not have a volt meter, but I do have some basic tools. If I need to buy a voltage meter , then I´ll buy one. Will that be fully necesary?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well heres how a wall oven works, it runs on 220 volts but the light inside when you open the door only takes 110 volts which mean half you power could be missing (110 instead of 220) the control may not light up but the light inside will so you need to see if theres power getting to the clock/control. A volt meter is necessary for that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK! I´ll move on that and get back to you later. Is that ok?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
that's fine I will be here, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I´m back! Got me an Analog Multimeter and hope I can work with it. First I need to study it and see how to use it.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay read up on it and test one of your wall sockets to make sure your using correctly and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK!

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay your ready or okay you'll let me know ? LOL I'm not sure .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I´ll let you know.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, I think I have an idea on how to use the meter. Never used one before.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay . lets try then. first shut the breaker off to the oven. then you need to open the control panel. Touchpad and Control Panel WB36T10400      Main Product View there are screws along the bottom when you open the door. graphic then you will need to unplug the in comming line. its one of the two plugs, you should be able to tell. then be careful and turn the breaker on. have your meter set to voltage and test at the plug comming in. you should get 220 volts (probably the red and black wires ) test across the 2, do you get 220 volts ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There seems to be a white, red and black. The ends plug in to another ending like the cars do. I put the black lead into the black terminal and the red into the red terminal at the same time and it metered what I assume is 220. I gaged it to 250 and it metered a little less than 250.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay perfect , good job , you have the right power so now we can move on. there is a thermal fuse there also number 158 on the diagram, shut the breaker off again for a few minutes while you test the thermal fuse. now this you will need to test for continuity not voltage. I'm going to give you a link on how to test that with a meter, (theres a video) High Limit Thermostat WB24T10033      Main Product Viewclick the blue link. Video
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see there are two of those of those parts in the oven. The video showed the replacing of a thermo in a .dryer. Is that ok? How do check for continuity?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes that's okay , they all test the same but they didn't have a video for your exact one. just do it the way the video shows.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now, the video did not chow how to test the thermo. It showed how to replace it. Remember I never done this before so I need your step by step guidance. What am I to look for on the meter? I assume I´m to put the two leads, red and black on the positive of the thermo and the negative. But what adjusment do I make to the meter for that reading?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
oh sorry . ooops, darn it they have so many videos I sent the wrong one. I found the one that will show you. its a dryer one but like I said there all tested the same way. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/High-Limit-Thermostat/W10423382/2311769 click that link. sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This video was helpful. Remember I mentioned that I saw two parts looking alike? Well one metered 0 and the other caused the needle to barely move. So I assume that this last one needs to be replaced.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
was it this one that didn't test correctly ? or this one. the reason I ask is because one is for the fan and will be opposite in the way it reads. the top one I found the right video for. here that is . you will see one has a red dot thats the fan one the top one is the one you test with this video. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermal-Fuse/WB24K5126/253185?modelNumber=JTP15BA1BB sorry to be such a pain but we want to get this right.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well let me give you a complete report of what I did. Before replying a while ago, when I told you that one metered 0 and the other barely moved the needle, the red, white and black wires were not connected. However the switch in the brake box was on. Now after telling you about that, I went back and connected the wires and tested both parts that look alike. One gave me the same 0 (zero) reading and the other that I said did not move the needle now caused the fan to turn on. The part that you show me now, has a number that leads up to T10059. I could not reach to see the numbers before the T. So I suspect that this one is for the fan and the other that gave me the zero reading is the thermo you are talking about.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes that sounds correct, so the thermal fuse is good right ? the needle moved correct? if so its good. I know its getting late sorry but one more voltage test if you could test for power at the control board in the places I put an arrow with the plugs plugged in and the power on ? you should get 120 volts. if you do the control have failed and needs to be replaced. graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I get 120. Is it ok with you, Byan, if we can pick up from here tomorrow a.m.? I was just about to say it´s late.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well pretty much if your getting 120 volts the control has failed, you will need to replace it. its getting power so that tell us everything we need to know, Heres a link to where you can order it. Control good job ! thanks and best wishes, I will be on tomorrow but not until around 12 pm EST , thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK! Thank you! Good night! Talk to you tomorrow.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

I'm on if you have any other questions, thanks , Bryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bryan! I have just one last question. Can I ask it without being billed since it has to do with this case? Let me know, please. Israel.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Sure , What's the question ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank yoou! I just view your message. The question has to do with the disconnecting of the old control. I actually ordered the new one through the link you provided me. I was able to disconnect each terminal on the control except 4. They are the ones that states TAB 1, TAB 2, TAB 8, TAB 9. I don´t know if a special tool is to be used or what. They have a white plastic covering the terminal. They don´t respond to just pulling. What do I do? Thanks for your answer.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
the tabs along the bottom ? take a screw driver and carefully pry them off with a twisting motion. they will pop off. please don't forget to rate me 3 or above so I get credit for assisting you. thanks and I'll be here if you have trouble. well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.