John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Sometimes my year old refrigerator leaks a little and I think

Customer Question

Sometimes my year old refrigerator leaks a little and I think it may have something to do with the freezer door. I close it firmly but occasionally some water comes out onto the floor.
Submitted: 9 months ago via ApplianceRepair.Net.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
Hello,My name is Bryan,I will be helping you today. Do you have a make and model number ? also can you open the freezer and tell me if theres a sheet of ice on the floor ? (inside the freezer)
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Maytag YMET8665XS00 No ice on the floor of the freezer.

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
that model number is a Maytag range ? can you recheck that ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Sorry. Would it be MBL1953XES2 ?

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
okay that works, Now your sure theres no ice on the floor of the freezer absolutely ? is there a stream of water on the floor that's reaching the door and dripping down? you need to look real real good. remove the basket if needed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

No it is completely dry. I tool the black bottom guard off and there is nothing on the floor. Now it is not leaking today ... still think it has something to do with the freezer door being closed firmly but I do close it tightly.

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
that's possible , how are the gaskets ? check the gasket good along the bottom.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes I checked gaskets and all are good. It is only 15 months old.

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
I'm sorry I have to opt out, I need to take care of something and will be in and out and don't want to hold you up. someone else will pick this up shortly. thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Okay thanks.

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect.

Take off the front bottom grill, open both doors 1st to remove. Next use a flashlight to see a water trail. It sounds like the drain pan under the unit has been cracked. This is normally done when the unit is moved with a dolly. You may be able to check the drain pan with the flash light while looking under there. The cracks are hard to find sometimes, and may need to be filled with water to discover. If no cracks are found, then leaking water tube, water valve, bad door seal, or house water line damaged would be next areas to check.....Please let me know what to find, or if need more assist to find problem. When I have assisted you in finding the solution......Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks. I will do this tomorrow and if I have a problem I will try to get someone to help me with this as soon as I can.

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
No problem. Please let me know what you find, if I can assist you further to I can get a great rating for you, and to post an answer as well to this kind of problem for future reference......thank you