Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Dacor PMOR30S (from 2002) stainless steel microwave

I have a Dacor PMOR30S (from 2002) stainless steel microwave oven. It has been used very lightly throughout its life (10 min per day). The door's latch seems to be broken and therefore the oven does not start unless the door is pushed manually. I have disconnected the oven. We called the service; they gave us an estimate of $686 plus tax for replacing the door. The cost of an equivalent new oven is double that, I think. Is it worth fixing it ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So I happen to own this exact microwave and I can say that there is nothing special about this particular unit. I own it because Dacor replaced one under warranty and told us to scrap the old one since it has an intermittent issue which I found to be a cooling fan that was stalling sometimes.

Either way, I don't think I'd be putting $686 into fixing the microwave, but it almost seems excessive unless they plan on replacing the entire door? This microwave is quite simple and I'm not sure there is even a problem with the door latch strikes on the door if you can push the door manually to get it to make better contact and start working. It sounds like one of your door switches is beginning to go bad (there are 3 switches behind the front frame of the microwave. If you're handy, I would honestly just remove the screws coming in from above the vent panel and pull the vent panel above the door off. That will expose 1 screw at the top of the control panel. Unplug the microwave, remove this screw, and the control panel will pull up and off. That gives you all the access you need to replace the switches. Maybe just replace the switches or possibly pulling forward on the frame where the switches are attached hard enough that it warps the metal just slightly will be enough to activate the existing switches.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hello, thanks for your reply. Yes they proposed to change the door. I am now working on the microwave. I removed the steel top that covers the vent and exposed the vent. I see two lateral gold screws and a third screw that is holding the control panel. Are these the screws you mean ? I don't see the screws

So once you remove the vent cover, there is just one screw I believe just above the control panel that you need to remove. Then the control panel pulls up and forwards forward and down.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks. I was able to remove the control panel. I see the switches. The top one moves backward when I close the door. I guess the solution would be to tighten the switch one way or another.

Aye, if that switch doesn't appear to hold still you can try to hold it steady with something to make sure that solves the problem and then possibly epoxy the switch to the bracket so it no longer moves if that's what is causing the problem.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi, Tyler

Thanks you have been very useful. I have not solved the problem yet. IS it possible to follow up tomorrow ? I'll rate you as excellent

Best

Yes of course. I encourage you to follow-up at any time. The questions are not closed even after rating me. We're here to make sure the problem gets fixed as best we can without actually being there.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi, Tyler.

I was looking at the Dacor parts. I think that the latch is too weak. I found out in the description of the door that there is a spring in the latch. Could the weakness of the latch be explained by a problem with the spring ?

How difficult is to remove the door and check the spring ?

It's pretty difficult to take the door apart, but if the spring were a problem, the latch prongs wouldn't pull down at all, they would just fall down due to gravity. If it's pulling down at all, I've never seen a spring be the problem before. Either way, to get inside the door you need to remove the "choke" around the inner door.  Open the door and locate the plastic seal that goes all the way around the inner door.  This is the "choke" and it's clipped in on both the inside and the outside, all the way around the door.  You will need to use a small putty knife or a small flat head screw driver and pry under the choke all the way around to unclip it.  Once you have the part removed, you should be able to see what's going on with the latch prongs Below is a link to a video that will show you how to take your door apart so you can replace your handle.

http://www.appliancerepairlesson.com/2011/02/20/over-the-range-microwave-oven-door-repair-2/

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I took a look at the video. Does it apply to Dacor doors as explained ?

Thanks for your continuing help !

Aye, it's the same process. But I will say that it's not as easy as the video makes it look. That door in the video has probably been taken apart 100 times so the clips aren't as rigid as they once were.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I will gently try tonight. It would be great if I find a problem with the spring. Indeed, there is no pull down at all on the latch, as if there is no spring connected.

Ah, then that is good to hear because often times if it's not pulling down, the prong on the back of the latch will break so the spring won't hold onto the latch. You can always drill a small hole into the latch bar and connect the spring through that hole if needed.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

thank you, that's very useful. I'll let you know tomorrow if I am successful !

Ok sounds good.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi, Tyler.

I am at home, 9 pm. It was not so hard to remove the "choke". The latch bar has the prong for the spring (it is ok). The problem turns out to be at the other end, the bottom end of the spring. The plastic hook that holds the spring at the bottom is broken. I recovered it and there were other plastic pieces in the crevices at the bottom of the door. I can see exactly where the prong snapped out, it left a notch behind. Can you figure out an easy way to replace a bottom prong or do I have to replace the whole plastic piece ?

I'm not even sure you can replace that whole plastic piece since it's only sold as the entire door. You would need to just drill a hole and bend the spring in a way that hooks the spring into the hole that you drilled.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I now noticed that one end of the door is broken. It just came off. It seems that I would have to replace the door. May be this is too big a job for me. What do you think ?

I'm thinking you would need to replace the door at this point. I'm not sure the job is all that difficult, but you would need to order the entire door and replace it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Do I need to remove the microwave from the cabinet to replace the door ? Do you recommend a website to order the door ?

That's not a common repair at all so I couldn't say 100% for certain if you need to un-install the appliance or not. If the hinges come with the door, then the unit would need to be un-installed. If the door comes separate from the hinges, then the door is removed without un-installing the unit. As for ordering the parts, you'd want to call Repairclinic.com with your model and they can look up the door you'd need to order for your model. Dacor look-ups are not usually readily available for since they are all on disk which is why you'd need to call them.