Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a GE WCVH6260HWW that drains the water but will not

I have a GE WCVH6260HWW that drains the water but will not spin. It may spin once or twice, then it just hums. And ideas?
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Are you certain it is draining the water out well? Does the drain water come out pretty fast?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I cleaned out the trap, about a half gallon of water ran out. seams to be draining. won't spin just hums

Great, thank you! If you remove the top panel and locate the pressure switch (number 208) you will see a very small hose attached to it. If you remove that hose and blow through it (the hose), will air easily pass?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes air passes freely

Okay, if you put the machine to a spin only cycle with nothing in it, will it spin?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is no spin cycle, only a rinse/spin. it spins great empty.

Okay, what happens if you throw a few towels into the rinse and spin cycle? Do you notice a lot of suds in the wash cycle?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, the wife put 4 small towels into the washer, now it will not spin again

I suspect you have a motor issue. Is it noisy when it spins empty?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wife said it was quiet when empty. Wife moved the towels around and now it is working. It gets out of balance very often and u got stop it and move the clothes around.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

update, as it's spinning and the timer clock is counting down, in stead of going from 6 to 5 minutes, it jumps to 9 minutes. it's been doing the timer jump game for a long time, normally 2 or 3 times. now it's doing it 5-7 times. the towels came out damp, not soaked?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It ended up spinning with the towels in it. I tried to do a load and it will fill up and spin a little but won't spin while the water is draining like it usually does. I didn't see any soap in it either

Sorry for the delay, I had an unexpected errand I had to tend to. Does the tub seem to move around a lot, more than it usually did?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It does seem to move to the sides more than it used to

Can you move the inner spin tub up and down without the outer tub moving? Does it knock at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I can only tell where one tub is. I don't hear any knocking when I move it

Okay, you would feel it if it was moving. Can you remove the lower access panel and inspect the shock absorbers, shown as 253 in the breakdown below?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I will have my husband check that

Okay, let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok we will. Thanks!

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the shocks all look good, attacking points look good. Do you still feel that it could be the motor? I pulled the lid off of the washer, don't see anything broke. I spun the drum by hand, turns smooth, can hear a little noisewhen turning by hand. All appears to be normal.

I do suspect the motor may be at fault if all the suspension looks good. The control "sees" the current the motor draws while running and determines from that information if the tub is in balance. If the machine is not balanced, the current draw will be out of range and the control will not initiate spin.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Kelly, I replaced the motor, the belt is tight. it apears that the tub is taking on a lot more water than normal and it still will not spin. It makes a humming noise. I don't think it's the motor humming. Start from scratch, walk up to the washer, open door and fill with clothes, make the selection, close the door hit start. The basket will move right to left 3 or 4 times as normal. It fills with water, a lot of water. Basket no move, water drains and there is a lot of noise, load humming. Ideas?

If it is overfilling, the pressure switch has issues or the hose is restricted.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The new pressure switch came today, I installed it. Blew through the hose. Same issue, the washer still doesn't work.

Can you hear the new pressure switch click when it gets full of water?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Kelly, Im not home every day do to my job. I have bought 2 new motors and 2 new pressure switches. This thing still does not work. It makes a humming noise, fills way up and drians. it only spins when I first turn it on and select. It spins one way then the other. The hose is no plugged up. It makes a clicking noise like solinoids activating.

Can you measure the voltage at the water inlet valves? That would be the only other reason it would overfill. See if the voltage goes away once the pressure switch clicks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I can. why does it still not spin?

It won't spin if the control thinks there is still water in it. It seems to be an issue with the pressure switch but odd that a new switch did not remedy it. If the pressure switch clicks but you still have voltage at the valves, the pressure switch is bad.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the new switch is differant from the old one. paper claims it is a updated version. the wiring plugs in differant, I followed the instruction sheet. even had a picture to go by, lol. I cant believe I'd get 2 bad new switches.

No, that would be very unlikely. Were you able to test for voltage at the valves?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It will be a couple hours before I can do that.

Okay, just reply back when you can. Sorry this has been such a nightmare!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok with it on or off the blue wire has 51.6 volts. start the rinse cycle and it drops .5 and bonces between 3v to -.005

Okay, so when the water is coming in, the valves are energized with 120 VAC? No water when the voltage is not present, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The rubber vacuum hose from the pressure switch had a wear spot on it up under the drum. I replaced the hose, problem solved. Washer works again. 35 cents worth of vacuum tubing, lol.

Well, glad it is working now. You can return the parts if you ordered through the links I sent. Sorry this was such a nightmare....