Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

Need help on a Kenmore dryer. Was working perfectly and is

Need help on a Kenmore dryer. Was working perfectly and is now dead. There is power into the back of the unit but I have no draw on the lines coming into the thermal fuse or the door latch switch. Something is dead before this point and I am lost.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

Can I have the complete model number of the unit please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(NNN) NNN-NNNN White

I have the back of the dryer off and that number is XXXXX the top rear. It is a Kenmore but I see not mention of model name. I assume that the number provided can be referenced?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
The model number should be in the door opening area, it should begin with 110 or 417 the model number, see if it there...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

11062602100

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked the door switch on the unit to see if it broke off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I removed the door switch yesterday. It was clicking when I pressed on it. I have a tested like this: http://www.amazon.com/Michigan-Industrial-Tools-110-460-Electric/dp/B000NYCBNM/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1380544448&sr=8-18&keywords=outlet+tester

I tried to test the wires coming in and it seemed like there was no power getting to them. Of course I could be doing something incorrectly, so I am open to suggestions.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
How did you test the thermal fuse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I removed the thermal fuse and slipped each of the two wires off of it. I was unable to get a reading from those wires. I assume that would mean that there was no power making it to the thermal fuse?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Where the wires blue that you tested across?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes they were both blue

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
try this please, tape the 2 blue wires together and try to start the unit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No luck

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
You have 240 volts across the terminals where the wires hook up to the dryer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure. I have power at that point. My tool simply has two metal points and lights up when power is sensed. there is power at the terminal in the rear though

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
It would be worth your benefit if you purchase yourself a cheap meter from Kmart or Walmart, they cost less than $10.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I will be unable to until tomorrow. Should we suspend this conversation until then?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I will be here then. I think we need to know what voltages we have where and we can only really do that with a meter...

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 s please consider replying and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I should have the meter in about an hour. How do I go about picking up our conversation?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Just come back here and I should still be here
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Got the tester

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/81036-need-help-kenmore-dryer-working-perfectly.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
I am back, are you there, I had to go to lunch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am here. I have the tester

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I want the voltages from the 2 outside terminals of the block where the cord goes into the dryer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure which setting to put this meter on

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Depending on the meter, it is best to put it on the highest setting for A/C electric
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is the one I have

http://jbryant.eu/pages/DMM.htm

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
From what I can see, it should be 1 notch to the right from the 12 o'clock position
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just blew up the meter. HA! I was getting a reading of one

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Then it could not be this meter., AC voltage is where I said..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

WHat should it read? I will try different settings

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
What does it say one click to the right from 12 o'clock?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

750 V~

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
what do you get on that setting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

001 raised up to 002 and back to 001.

I placed the points from the meter on the two outside screws in the back where the cord comes into the dryer

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
okay what is the next click over from that say?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

00.7 and jumps to 00.8

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
What setting is the knob set on the meter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

200 V ~

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
do me a favor, on that setting, go to a regular outlet and see what it reads?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

122.7

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked your circuit breaker to the dryer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did and the fuses all looked ok. COuld it be a fuse? My other meter lights up when I touch the two points. If the fuse was blown wouldnt there be zero electricity?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
keeping the same settings that you have on the meter now, go back to the dryer and measure from the outside terminals to the inside termainal, the middle terminal should be white.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. middle and right side 122.1

middle to left side 000.4

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
You have a blown fuse in the house, you lost one leg of power...
Chas, Home Appliance Technician