Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

Hi. Have a Miele g892 about 5 years old. I often have the red

Customer Question

Hi. Have a Miele g892 about 5 years old. I often have the red light flashing, but there is never a drain issue and eventually, after many starts and stops, it will run. Now the issue is that it won't actually start a cycle. There is a constant hum (motor hum, I presume), mode is set and start/stop functions properly (blinks, then stays solid after I press it), but the machine never starts the cycle. I turned off the breaker for an hour, turned it back on, and no change. Any help appreciated.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate my assistance when we're done. Please talk with me first before rating negatively.

Does the unit fill with water and then you get a hum?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. Nothing. As I said the cycle never starts. If there power (breaker on) there is hum. Can't get passed that.
Then the hum is the valve and the unit is not filling and that would be the reason for the flashing light as it is not seeing water coming into the unit. You should check the water supply to the dishwasher and then change the valve. The screen inside the fill valve may be all gummed up with debri from your water line. It may have been plugged and now it is completely clogged so no water is getting to the unit other than you hearing the valve humming.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The flashing red light and the hum are not happening at the same time. The flashing red light has not done that for several days. Today the humming started. The humming NEVER stops. If I reset (hold the start/stop for several seconds) the GREEN light goes solid as it should, indicating it is ready to start, however there should be no humming at that point because the cycle has not started. However, there is humming. The humming only goes away if I remove power (turn off the breaker).

Can you narrow down the humming as it will be hard for me to diagnose for you otherwise.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You mean, where does it come from? No idea. It sounds to me something like a motor that is not turning.

It could be the drain pump, it normally will run for a few seconds. It is just hard to say. You need to take off the very bottom kick plate and see if you can narrow down where it is coming from. That is the only way to know what is going on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did do that, but everything seems covered when I stick my hand in there. No way to feel anything or hear the source of the hum.

Miele's are tough to work on and often have to be pulled out to get at anything to see what is wrong.You may have to pull remove the bottom and see what is humming.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi. Well, I think we have exhausted the possibilities so I will call in a local service company. Thanks for trying.

No problem,do not feel bad these are the hardest dishwashers to work on out of any of them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to give the low rating. It's only because the problem did not get resolved.

Well you did not have to give me a low rating. I tried to help you the best I could given the issue. No rating or OK service would have been much appreciated as this affects my ranking with the site. If you could please change the rating. Thank you