John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Inglis Super Capacity natural gas dryer. Finished a load,

Customer Question

Inglis Super Capacity natural gas dryer. Finished a load, put next load in, and dryer will not start. Confirmed electricity to dryer because light comes on in dryer. confirms switch appears to work on door because on switch clicks and will not click again until dryer door is opened and closed again. But the on switch just clicks and dryer will not start. Tried timed usage, auto dry usage and air dry. All with same result.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi I,m John I will help you with the dryer not starting .
Before this happened was it taking longer to dry a load ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was taking a little longer using the auto dry option (which is the only real option we use.

We went from putting it at the "recommended *" to the very dry option but I expected that was the humidity control going on it.

Currently the dryer is cold to the touch as well.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
One part that can cause the problem is the thermal fuse, its located at the back of the dryer on the heat duct , can you remove the back to check the fuse and do you have a meter to see if its ok ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a meter to read voltages and resistance. Is that the type of meter you're thinking of?

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Yes you use the meter to check the resistance, its the thermal fuse number 7 in the breakdown, unplug the dryer and remove one wire from the fuse, if you don't get a resistance reading replace the thermal fuse, if its not the thermal fuse get back to me please .

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
If it turns out to be the thermal fuse, the its probably cause by a blocked vent to the outside, or the lint screen wasn't cleaned before the last load,
Let me know how you made out please .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Vent to outside is very clear. Screen is clear. The fuse appears to have some resistance in it.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Is that with one wire off the fuse ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, per attached picture.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the next part to check is the start switch, you can unplug the dryer and check for resistance when you either push to start or turn the knob you should ressistance.
let me know how you make out please .

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi , ray. if you require assistance in the future let me know please .