Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

I live in the Caribbean and I purchased a 22 cu ft stainless

I live in the Caribbean and I purchased a 22 cu ft stainless steel Whirlpool bottom drawer refrigerator in the US one year ago while vacationing there. We have been seeing frost around the light bulb protector and sheets of ice on the bottom floor of the freezer which cause water to leak on to the kitchen floor. Have to constantly mop up the water. Called in a technician and was advised that we should adjust the temperature control. Have tried it but problem persists. (The set temperature when we purchased the fridge was 4 for both refrigerator and freezer. Have adjusted it to 3 refrigerator and 4 on the freezer.) Please advise how we can get rid of these problems.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

The amount of frost around the light bulb protector, is there enough there for the frost to start making small pieces of ice hanging down?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Barry,

I'm not sure whether my question regarding the ice at the bottom of the refrigerator was answered. Could you now tell me what is causing the problem and how it could be rectified? Also, the other problem which I described as around the light protector, is not around the protector, but on the part which is on the back wall of the refrigerator and the small pieces of ice is hanging down Please advise. Looking forward to a prompt reply.

Thank you,

Leonora

Hi Leonora,

Sometimes we need to ask questions to get a full picture of what is going on in order to give a correct answer.

One last question. The ice at the back is that ice mostly on the left and right sides of the rear wall in the freezer?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Barry,

The ice is on both sides

Leonora

There are 2 ducts that air flows through from the fresh food section on the left and right rear of the ceiling in the freezer. If you remove the drawers at the top of the refrigerator you can see these ducts. Check that the doors of the fresh food section are sealed with no gaps in the door gaskets. If you find one this is causing the problem. If you do not find a gap then a door was left open at some point.

How this causes the problem is that warm air flows down those ducts and builds the ice that you see. Then that ice clogs the defrost drain in the freezer and this is where the water is coming from. Once every 8 hours your refrigerator must stop and defrost. This causes water and there is a drain for that water to go through. You will need to clear that drain or you can unplug the power cord for 12 hours and let it melt out and this will clear it.

To manually clear the drain , your defrost drain is behind the rear wall of the "inside" of the freezer. Its a dime sized hole behind that wall and is also below the cold coils inside and behind that rear freezer wall. Once every 8 to 10 hours the refrigerator goes into defrost, the frost from those coils go right down that drain and because its clogged its running out onto the inside freezer floor.

DRAWER
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Open drawer to fully open position.
2. Remove upper basket.
3. Remove screws one in each rail at the end of the rail.
4. Lift front of drawer up and out to remove drawer.
1. Remove screws inside plastic rail retainer.
2. Remove rails from retainer by depressing plastic tabs on back side of retainer.
3. Slide rails off of retainer.

Rack and Pinion Gear
1. Remove drawer assembly.
2. Extend drawer rails to full open position,remove rails
from retainer by depressing plastic tabs on back side
of retainer.
3. Slide rails, rack and pinion gear off of retainer.
4. Reverse procedure to reassemble.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have an ice maker that will need to be removed. There are usually 2 1/4 inch screws over the top of the ice maker and one underneath. Take those out and then follow the wire harness back to the rear inside wall and cut the zip tie if its there then unlock and pull to get the ice maker out.

Remove the parts with the red arrows in the diagram below.

Behind those parts is the evaporator coil that defrosts about every 10 hours. The drain for the defrost is in the floor directly under those coils, its just about the size of a dime. Dig out all the ice and clear that hole.

Once you get that done pour a little warm water down it to be sure its clear. If its not clear find something flexible and push down through it a couple of inches.

Go around behind your refrigerator and remove the lower panel then find the tube that comes out just over the drain pan. If there is a small amount of water in that pan you will be done. The water that drains into that pan evaporates.

That will take care of it, please do not forget to rate my answer and ask me if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.