SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman

Hi! I have a Dacor convection oven (slide in type) about 10

Hi! I have a Dacor convection oven (slide in type) about 10 yrs old. I just tried to use the self-clean feature and it was making an odd crackling noise and the latch had not engaged. I hit cancel on front and eventually it stopped and I opened the door and received an F8 error code. Now I am only able to begin preheat and it auto shuts off immediately. PLEASE help me! I'm only a tenant here and homeowner is coming home today :(   P.S. Just turned off circuit breaker but still will not disarm broken latch - Wish I hadn't tried to do anything with cleaning the oven. And too broke to pay more than the $15 though I'm sure you're worth it!

Category: Appliance
Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 10 months ago.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. The F8 is related to a door lock issue. I can help you troubbleshoot and perhaps fix it today.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Since you have already tried to reset the breaker the next thing would be to try self clean again and cancel after about 10-15 seconds of the clicking. then see if the unit will allow normal cooking. If not we will have to try and manually move the broken latch.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Let me know what you find and I will be happy to assist further. Thanks, Sam

Customer:

My Savior! Shall I take out the racks too? I think that might be why it was making crackling noise :)

Customer:

Oh and I know latch is broken...I don't care if I clean it , just work as an oven

Customer:

Shit now the latch engaged and I can't open oven door! Shall I do circuit breaker again?

Customer:

okay hit cancel 2x in succession and door is unlatched again but it still will not preheat on regular or convection oven. And I'll wait for you before I do anything else

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Sorry for the delay, the crackling sound you heard was the self clean lock trying to engage. When the lock is broken the unit will not allow cooking and show F8.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

The oven never got hot when you tried self clean correct?

Customer:

I don't think so...I tried to shut it down within 2 mins or less

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Do you know where the latch is? metal arm that goes into to of door.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

top

Customer:

But the lock did engage when I followed your instrux to retry cleaning. I set it for 2 hrs and it didn't start countdown then shut off. Yes, I see the latch

Customer:

I have a small latch but not a bar to outside to manually latch it

Customer:

the latch is located on actual top of oven...it's position is to my left lokking at it

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

So the lock gears are stripped (crackiling sound). Behind the slotted panel that the lock sticks out from there are two switches. These switches control the F8. Depending on the postion of the stripped gears a reset works. It did not this time. The goal now should be to manually pull and rotate the lock so the switches are correct. I can walk you through how to do that.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

before we do that let me double check. After you reset the lock per my instructions you still get the f8 correct?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Or just now no heat?

Customer:

Too sweet! Okay let me get a phillips head driver and we'll get started. Anything else like a crowbar or mallet?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

the #2 phillips and a pair of plyers

Customer:

I am not getting F8 now. It flashed door 1st then I tried again and it did engage lock but wouldn't complete. I don't know...maybe I don't know how to use self clean but now I just want oven to work

Customer:

It allows me to turn on oven and set temp and start a preheat then shuts off in 10 seconds

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

If you are not getting the F8 in normal baking now then we have fixed the lock. The heat issue can be something else but can also be fixed at the lock area (coincidentally). Please turn off the breaker fist and then remove the vent cover surrounding the lock.

Customer:

I have needle nose pliers. That okay? And I'll do breakers again now. Give me a minute please and I truly appreciate your help :)

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

The pliers are for the lock so I doubt we will need them now. Take whatever time you need on the cover, should be 6 screws, cover may be slid under the plastic clock trim but should be easy.

Customer:

Shall I go back out and turn main off again and leave it off?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Yes please, power off.......When you have the cover removed you should see the aformentioned latch and switches 6 small wires, please ignore those. Near the lock assembly there should be black plastic part with two larger wires going to it. on the side of that there is a red rested switch for heat. MAKE SURE POWER OFF. press and reset the red switch. you should have to press firmly and should hear/feel a click.

Customer:

Sorry, turned off main and switched off internet! I now have just power off in kitchen to oven and I'm into area. Cap is silver w/ 2 larger wires and I can't find any button. Also only 3 small wires

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

the item we are looking for is a high limit. round, quarter in diameter, two large wire, has a small red button on top/side. All dacors have this item (safety device) in the lock area.

Customer:

I think I found it but it doesn't feel like it reset.

Customer:

Can we test it without me putting it all back together? I promise I won't touch anything but controls on outside :)

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

You would feel it if it reset. feel free to turn the power back on and test without putting the cover back.. Have you tried broil since the f8 went away.Do you have a voltmeter?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

you do have to push pretty hard.

Customer:

I pressed as hard as I could. Awkward area and button on top to the back. I have fingernails but no room to use them. Okay so power back on. What shall I do next?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

try broil high

Customer:

Damn! Still stays on 10 seconds and shuts off

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

When it shuts off what is happening?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Like shuts off?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

no lights?, clock? ect. thanks

Customer:

It just goes back to the clock, just like everything is just fine and I shut it off

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

as if you hit the canel button but didn't

Customer:

exactly!

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Dangit. The control board is bad. It must have been reading the F8 error code as a false error then, although your latch was clicking. either way at this point the ERC (Clock will need to be replaced. I know you said this is a rental. Owner is looking at 4-600 to get the part replaced.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

(Clock = ERC)

Customer:

But the clock works fine

Customer:

and everything was fine until I tried the self clean

Customer:

She will kill me! I can't even pay the rent in 3 days!

Customer:

Any fix is okay with me as long as I do it myself

Customer:

and everything tries to work just like it did before. Her flight is cancelled and now coming home tomorrow night

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

The clock is just a small part of the larger computer of the ERC. The self clean motor may have shorted out the ERC and caused this failure. If the clock was replaced and self clean not run again it wouldn't break again. You should be able to run the Self clean on this machine as a renter. It has the function, if it broke it is not your fault. The clock is pretty easy to replace on most dacor models. Do you have the model number?

Customer:

Don't ditch me now please!

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

dont worry.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

I can look up the part number for you if you have the model number.

Customer:

where would I find the model #?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

in that same area as the lock.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

on a white paper tag

Customer:

this oven has never been cleand so give me a minute...it's disgusting

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

no worries

Customer:

Does CPS1308 sound right?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

yes

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

CPS 130 B

Customer:

Good!

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

one second

Customer:

I was using her 2.75 reading classes. I feel motion sick

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Here is the part number and you could buy it online or take the part number to a local appliance repair shop and get it locally.

Customer:

Do we have to hire someone to put it in? Should we just buy a new oven? Should I just shoot myself now or let her do it when she gets home? Maybe act like I didn't use the oven for the last month and let her think she did it? :)

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

For real it's not your fault. :) If you look at the diagram it right above where you were working and is very easy to install. If you got this far you should be able to put it in no problem.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

if you gently pull the plastic clock hosing up top the whole top snaps off with the cover removed. then you unplug the clock and unscrew it.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

housing

Customer:

Such confidence! I guess we'll figure it out when she gets home. Can I save our chat so I can remember what to do?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

This question stays open as long as you like and the text is saved. It comes right back to me. I am online most of the time. Let me know if you have any problems.

Customer:

What's that saying, "No good deed goes unpunished" Lol

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

LOL, most people do this right before thanksgiving...

Customer:

Sam, You have been an invaluable source of information and patience. I truly appreciate your time and expertise! Thank you so much! Shall I "rate below" so you can get credit and can we still talk again regarding our resolution?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX to rate and I'll still be here for you should the need arise.

Customer:

Thank you again...you are totally worth $100's. just wish I had it :( Have a lovely rest of the day!

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Experience: Licensed Appliance Journeyman