Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have the whirlpool gold quiet partner V and it is not draining.

Customer Question

I have the whirlpool gold quiet partner V and it is not draining. I called a plumber and he checked the hose and could not find anything. The plumber suspected the drain pump needed to be replaced. I ordered a new drain pump and installed it. I still have water in the bottom of the dishwasher. I heard the motor of the drain pump. I don't know what else to do. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

Can I get the complete model number of the dishwasher?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

model number is XXXXX

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
How much water is it leaving in the dishwasher when it drains?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

about 1/2 inch, the water covers the bottom of dishwasher

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Is the drain hose hooked up to a garbage disposal unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
When you are draining the dishwasher can you see the water going in fast into the garbage disposal unit when you look down there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I did not see it going fast.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
The drain hose where is connects to the dishwasher, it should have a check valve in it, if the check valve is sticking partly closed it can cause this problem, you need to check that..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, but wouldn't the plumber have checked that when he was checking the drain hose.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
He may not even knew that there is a check valve installed in the hose, you cannot see it. I have had seen this problem many times, Whirlpool puts these to keep water that may back up in your sink from getting to the dishwasher. on some they are mounted on the pump and on others they are mounted inside the hose itself....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, I will check on the valve. thanks.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
YOur welcome. be sure to let me know if I am right...

Chas

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 s please consider replying and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chas,

I looked for a check valve but I do not see one. The hose is clear plastic and I do not see a valve inside either. Any other ideas why the dishwasher will not drain.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
THe check valve should be inside the colored part of the drain hose I believe, you cannot see it unless you look in through the end, you can also see if you can blow through the hose without effort...