Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

A glass lid broke in my Whirlpool Quiet Partner 1, model DU1055XTSS2.

A glass lid broke in my Whirlpool Quiet Partner 1, model DU1055XTSS2. I vacuumed glass from bottom of tub but can see glass inside the guard under the arm. The glass was thick safety-type glass so it just crumbled into many small square-like pieces. Is the guard/arm assembly easily removed so that I can vacuum the remaining glass that is visible there? What happens if glass remains when I turn the unit on to wash? Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back.
Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
If you click this link theres a video to show you how to get to the chopper assembly which is where you need to clean. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Food-Chopper-Assembly/8268383/830886?modelNumber=DU1055XTSS2
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I removed the lower wash arm and see four screws unlike any I've seen. They are not slotted nor are they Phillips head screws. It appears that a special screwdriver is used in the video, although it is not mentioned.

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
Yes these are called torx screws. Lowes sells a cheap set for around $8.00 that will work fine. Sorry I should have mentioned that.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

It will take me an hour to get there...do I need to check for a particular size?

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.

its a set, it looks like one of those allen screw sets. Southwire 8-Piece Folding Flat End Hex Key Set

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Lowe's apparently did not have the same set...they found a small 7 piece set of hex keys from Project Source they thought would work. They do not. I've managed to get two of the screws out with a straight head and am working on another. Just hope I don't wind up having to call Lowe's to come fix the dishwasher after all this.

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
well that set was an example. there are other things you can get , trust me you wont need service if you get the right torx, if you don't get it apart tonight bring one of the screws you took out to lowes or any hardware store and tell them you need a torx driver to fit it, they have separate ones like a screw driver. Obviously who ever helped you at lowes didn't know what they were doing. I think its a number 10 torx but not certain. bring a screw with you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the last one out and was able to remove the filter assembly out and remove all but one tiny sliver of glass that fell through. I'm going to see if I can put the screws back with the same screwdriver that I used to take them out. I appreciate your help. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
that's great to hear, sorry it was such a pain, Good job ! please remember to rate me 3 or above so I get credit for assisting you, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.