Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi, I have a GE Top Freezer model PTS25LHR/PTS25SHR and

I have a GE Top Freezer model PTS25LHR/PTS25SHR and it suddenly stopped getting cold. The electronic temperature control says 70 for both freezer and refrigerator. When I try to reset the termperature, it momentarily appears to reset, but then reverts back to displaying 70. The lights and fan seem to work, but the compressor doesn't seem to run.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So when you're setting the temperature, the reason the temperature goes back to 70 is because after you set the temperature, the display reverts back to the "actual" temperature. The fact that the refrigerator knows it's too warm means you don't have a bad thermostat or anything like that.

If you pul the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel, is the fan next to the compressor running? Also, if the fan is running touch the big black round compressor and is it warm, hot, or room temperature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The unit is at my parents house down the street. I will need to go back there and check. I don't have internet connection there. Is it possible to text from there?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately it's not because I can't contact you any other way than through this text box. But if you make this one quick check, hopefully there won't be any more things to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I'll go check and get back to you soon..... tks

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem. Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had unplugged the unit two days ago when I found it not to be working, so the compressor is room temperature. I just removed the bottom back panel and plugged it in. When I plug it in, a component on the main board clicks and the fan next to the compressor runs. A fan in the freezer section also runs. I didn't note any other sounds.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so you need to let it run for a bit or test power at the compressor. Most likely you're not getting power to the compressor so it will remain room temperature. If that's the case, you have a common problem where the control board relay has shorted and you'll need to order and replace that control board behind the 8" x 10" sheet metal panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I don't have a multimeter and I wouldn't know where to test for power, so can I correctly assume that if it were receiving power that it would get warm? If it gets warm, then the problem is with that main board behind the 8x10 panel most likely?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That is correct. If the compressor is getting power, it will get warm or hot. If it stays room temperature, then that control board behind the 8" x 10" panel definitely needs to be replaced. It's probably the most common issue this refrigerator gets.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. One more question. If it does get warm or hot and the refrigerator still does not get cold, what could be the problem?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The problem would be the compressor itself or the overload relay which is the plastic device that the wires connect to on the side of the compressor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks for the help. I'll plug it in and see if it gets warm.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and good luck! Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.