Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

refrigerator mod # XXXXX runs but will not cool

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

At the lower rear behind the refrigerator, is the fan operating and is the compressor vibrating lightly?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

yes everything is running compressor seems to get hotter than normal though

Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 months ago.
You have a coolant leak, what you are hearing in the evaporator is oil and gas mixed coming in through the capillary tube. Its normal to hear that whether there is a low coolant condition or not.

The defrost thermostat is a cutout. What it does during the defrost cycle is sense heat coming from the defrost heater. Once it gets warm enough then it cuts power to the heater for the remainder of the defrost cycle.

Please ask if you have any questions,
Barry
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I have two of these units doing the exact same thing have you heard of any problems, recalls etc. A temperature control would have nothing to do with this?? As you may know this unit is all computerized

Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 months ago.
No the control would not keep that evaporator from frosting. If your standing there watching when it comes on you should see a thin coat of frost progressing along the tubing (if all the parts are running) irregardless of what any control or other electronic parts are doing. They have not made a control that can change the way coolant flows from the capillary tube into the evaporator yet. Give it time though.

No sir there is no recall on these units. I can tell you though when there is a leak most times it is right there where the defrost thermostat was clipped on. Really you should fill the sealed system with high pressure dry nitrogen and search it with some bubbles just to be sure.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

do you service washers I have a question pending that I need help with

Expert:  Barry G. replied 6 months ago.
I will try, I do some work on some washers. If I do not know I will be honest. At that point you would need to leave a rating here on this question and start a new one for the washer.

Do you have the model number and can you tell me what it is doing or not doing?

Thanks,
Barry