Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

Why de my freezer fill with water/ice in the bottom and the

Customer Question

Why de my freezer fill with water/ice in the bottom and the unit runs water on the floor? GX2FHDXVA02 IS THE MODE NUMBER
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Unfortunately this is not an easy issue to fix on these bottom freezer top refrigerators. You will want to unplug the unit for 24 hours to allow all the ice to thaw out. Once the ice is thawed out, the best way to clean the drain line is from the bottom up because going at it from the inside is really difficult. If you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the bottom access panel and locate the rubber hose which comes down directly from the middle or so of the freezer floor toward the back and use something like a turkey baster to shoot hot water up the hose. Once it's clear and you can blow air through the hose, you're good to go again. Also, if you have the ability to just unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours that'll thaw all the ice out and them you can just blow air up and clear the drain out.

The other option is to remove the drawer out of the freezer, then remove all the racks and rails on the side walls. Remove the plastic vent directly in the middle of the back panel toward the top. Remove all the screws going into the back panel because the ultimate goal is to remove the back panel. Once the back panel is removed, you can use a hair dryer to thaw the drain line out. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly. Cut a solid copper piece of wire about 6 inches long. Wrap it around the defrost heater a couple times just above the drain hole and extend it 2 inches into the defrost drain hole. That will transfer heat into the drain hole when the defrost heater turns on and will prevent the defrost drain line from freezing over in the future.

Also, if you didn't want to use a copper wire, there is an actual kit made which you can wrap around the heater if you wanted to buy the actual kit to perform this task.

CLICK HERE for kit

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

HEY I am waiting. PLEASE respond

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Did you not get my initial answer? I never received a response after I wrote:

QUOTE:

CLICK HERE for kit

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

YES I got your answer. THAT IS THE SAME INFO I FOUND FOR FREE VIA OTHER WEB SEARCH. How does the drawer come out? Where are the releases? What about the sliding shelf? IF YOU PLAN TO CHARGE FOR ANSWERS YOU MUST GIVE MORE INFORMATION THAN WHAT IS READILY AVAILABLE ON THE NET!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Keep in mind that not all information on the internet is correct. What you are paying for is to be ensured that the information I'm giving you is accurate. That being said, you can always ask follow-up questions if needed just like you are doing now, please don't be offended and do not type in all caps.

As for how to remove the drawer, if you pull the drawer out you have rails on the left and right side. Now Whirlpool made 2 different rail designed. There could be screws coming in from the outside of the rails that you need to remove and then the drawer will pull straight up and off, or there may be plastic levers on the side of the rails towards the back of the bin that you push up/down to release the drawer so that the drawer will pull off the rails completely. One release goes up and the other goes down and the drawer would pull straight forward.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
I see you gave me a negative rating. Was there something I could help you with to improve that rating?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

So I agreed to pay $30 IF I was satisfied. I am NOT. You told me what I already found on my own word for word. When I asked for your help you told me about the 2 release buttons Stevie Wonder could have seen. Yes I already flipped both of them before your email. You neglected to tell me about the 2 other release clips and nothing about the top shelf which had a different set of issues. I fixed it on my own. You did not help me. You told me NOTHING I did not already know or had already figured out. When will I get my refund?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
OK have a nice day.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

OK is not an answer to WHEN

Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.

Did you still need help finding your drain pan?

Barry