Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

for some reason, my dishes are not getting clean, even though

for some reason, my dishes are not getting clean, even though I use the liquid solution and the jet dry. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you run a quick test for me please. Empty the dishwasher and put 4 cups on the top rack with one cup in each corner facing upwards. Shut the door and start a cycle. Wait 10 minutes and open the door. Are all the cups filling up with water? If you look at the floor in the dishwasher, is the entire floor covered in a thin layer of water?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

yes, all cups are filled to the top of water and on the floor is flooded with water.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
OK so that means that you don't have a problem with the water or circulation motor. If you run a cycle is it steaming hot at the end if you open the door and you selected heated dry?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

yes, it is steaming hot at the end of the cycle.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
OK so the dishwasher is heating as well. That means your dishwasher is doing everything it's supposed to and the problem isn't the dishwasher. So if the glasses get cloudy, you'll need to scrub them clean by hand with hot water and vinegar because the dishwasher can't get the film off the glasses once the film is baked and dried onto the glasses. That being said, this is actually a very common issue lately and you'll need to use an additive called "Finish Power Boost" (blue bottle with a red cap) which you add to your detergent. In addition to that, be sure to use Jet Dry Turbo (not just normal Jet Dry) as your rinse agent. About 6 months ago, detergent companies changed their formulas and removed phosphates in the detergent due to regulations which makes them not perform well at all. Go to the two links below and you can learn more about the complaints people are having since this regulation went live. The 2nd one is a video from my local news that aired recently. Please ignore the advice about vinegar or baking soda in the links as those are home remedies that really don't work.

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

will this also solve the issue not with the glasses only being cloudy, but the dishes actually getting clean? Bowls tend to still have 'garbage' in them after the running cycle is finished, and some plates still aren't ccomplety clean.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Yes. The problem is that debris floats on the new detergent and doesn't completely drain away. Also, without phosphates, grease and oil isn't dissolved nearly as well as it once was. NOTHING will make your dishwasher perform as good as it used to--I want you to understand that. But these solutions will make it nearly as good as it once did. It the price we all must pay for being environmentally friendly.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.