Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

In November 2012, I had some help from an Appliance technician

In November 2012, I had some help from an Appliance technician to diagnose a problem with my Kitchen Aid Refrigerator (Side by Side) model #KSRU22FKWH03 which was not cooling properly. The evaporator fan motor was spinning freely and running fine, so I was advised to
replace a defrost control board (part number W10366604) which I did.

There was also one symptom that never improved; a hot spot between the two compartments, about 4.5 to 5 feet up from the bottom of the unit never got cooler. This spot between the two compartments where the doors meet is over 100 degrees and will make anyone exclaim “Wow, that’s weird, and it’s very hot.”

Now the refrigerator is not cooling much at all and food is spoiling quickly.

What is the next thing to do, please?

The serial number is: SM3749793.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back access panel behind the unit? Is the fan next to the compressor running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it is running and not iced up.

That's the wrong fan. I'm talking about the one back by the compressor---no ice or anything forms in this area ever.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tyler, I won't be able to pull the refrigerator out until I get someone to help me do this. It could take a few hours for me to get friend to come over to help me move it.

OK, just let me know when you can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tyler, what will be the resolution if that fan is or is not turning, please?

You would need to test power to the fan and see if you're getting 120 volts. If not, then you have a bad control board not sending power to the fan motor. If you do have 120 volts, you'd need a condenser fan motor. Of course if you find any debris blocking the fan it would need to be removed.

That divider called the "mullion strip" gets hot because the compressor is over working. So either that fan isn't running, the coils below the refrigerator are packed with lint and dust and need to be cleaned, or your compressor is just getting inefficient and beginning to fail.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tyler, the coils are clean. I'll bet that the compressor is becoming inefficient. Is replacement of the compressor a "do it yourself" job?

Could you please tell me the dimensions of the unit? I looked on line in the download manuals, but dimensions are not available on the KitchenAid website.

Unfortunately you can't replace the compressor yourself. It requires a licensed technician to work on the freon system and there are lots of expensive specialty tools needed. To have the compressor replaced, it would be about $550 so it's not cheap at all.

As far as the dimensions go, unfortunately this is one of the few units that Whirlpool (who owns kitchen aid) does not list in their dimensions catalog. You would need to just take a tape measure and measure the hight from the floor to the top of the door hinge, Left to right, and the back to the front of the door to get the dimensions.