Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Roomba model 530. Went thru 16 hour charge. Will only respond

Roomba model 530. Went thru 16 hour charge. Will only respond to "clean" button while docked. After removing from dock, light stays on but will not respond to any button. Light goes off after short period. No beeps, clicks or any other action. Removed battery and it measured 13+ volts.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! I suspect the battery is faulty. Even though it shows 13 VDC, it may not sustain that voltage when a load is applied. Can you measure its voltage when it is in the machine and the machine is turned on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is not possible. No voltage points are exposed when the battery is installed.

I was afraid of that, but could not remember on that particular model. I would replace the battery.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe you are right. I just jury rigged a couple of wires and re-installed the battery. After turning on while on the docking station. I removed the roomba from the docking station and when pressing the buttons, the voltage dropped to 9 volts and less. I will now order a new battery. Thanks for your help.

Great work!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just for your info, new battery arrived today and had enough charge to run Roomba. Anyone asks in the future, you can be more certain of the answer. Old battery measured 13 volts no load, new battery measured 15volts. Nominal is 14.4.

That is great news, glad it is working well for you. Thank you for the update, I appreciate that!