joeyt56
joeyt56, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I'm an Appliance Technician that is factory trained with 5+ years of experience.
71793410

washing machine will do nothing but fill with water

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate my assistance when we're done. Please talk with me first before rating negatively.

does it fill all the way up and stop?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Never let it run until it stopped I have to drain it manually

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Relist: Other.
trying to get problem resolved
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
Have you checked the diagnostics on the unit?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

clicked on link says this web site is experiencing technical problems

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
Click on the link below to download the tech sheet, then pull the diagnostic codes and let me know what it finds?

Click here for the manual

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I am having a very difficult understanding how to read the codes on this machine I cant see any thing happening with the lights that coincides with he error code list. I'm probably the problem but I just don't see it. Let me start from the top . When I first got the machine I would press the start button and it would lock the door , unlock the door, then lock again. Then the door lock light would start flashing and nothing else would happen. Normally the machine should lock the door ,start the fill and sensing process, unlock the door, lock the door again, and begin normal operation this never happened. So I replaced the lid lock same problem. So I replaced the control. Now when I start the machine door doesn't lock but it starts filling with water and doesn't stop. When I turn the dial to spin and drain it will do nothing.

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
Wish you can get the error codes, it would be a lot easier, however did you make sure that the pressure switch hose is not clogged on the unit?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes. I have another unit just like it and have replaced things part by part and cant find anything. Is there any way to have direct contact say via telephone to get help with troubleshooting the error codes if any and how to read them??

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
Before we go that far and cost you more money, have you checked underneath to make sure that the belts, pulley and such are okay and not loose?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ridiculous question due to the information given

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
How do you come up with ridicous question? trying to eliminate all the possibilities on what is causing the problem. IT could be something as easy as the shifter assembly causing it or a loose nut on the pulley where the belt is..
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
I keep asking questions are you not seeing them?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Shifter assembly does not operate. Nothing outside of the fill valve seems to be getting messages from the control. Only question I see is about the belt and pully is that what you're referring too??

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
That was one of them, sorry, somehow some of my questions did not go to you... Were you able to get to the point where you can get the error codes and not just understand them? Or you cannot get to them at all?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

As I explained I am not seeing error codes when I run the diagnostics test. Please take a minute to review all the information I've given to you and decide whether or not you can help me.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

can not get error codes

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  joeyt56 replied 11 months ago.
Hello My name is XXXXX XXXXX Ill be helping you.

When you replaced the main control did you calibrate the machine as the directions indicated? If not you must do this first. The directions should have been included with the control. If you have already done so just let me know and we can move on.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes I did, but it didn't seem as though it was acting right during the process either

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes I followed the instructions

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Relist: Other.
When I first used this web site I thought it was wonderful. once a tec started to help me we would talk back and forth until the issue was resolved. Now it seems you ask a question and 30 to 120 minutes later you get a response. I don't understand the long wait for a response. Will someone please work to help me with this problem
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Are you able to help if not please open my question up to allow someone who can

Expert:  joeyt56 replied 11 months ago.
The control board is the only thing that would cause so many problems at once. It sounds as if there is a problem with the control you installed. I just want to make sure you had the right part the correct part number is XXXXX How old is the machine from the date you bought it?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

the part # XXXXX have is 10484681 I believe they substituted

Expert:  joeyt56 replied 11 months ago.
I'm sorry but that control will not work in this machine it is not a substitute. It does not cross over to the part I have from the factory. This is most likely your problem. You must order Part Number W10484678
joeyt56, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I'm an Appliance Technician that is factory trained with 5+ years of experience.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I went to the sears parts direct website and the number I gave you for the part I installed is what they're listing for that model number ntw4600yq0

Expert:  joeyt56 replied 11 months ago.
I'm sorry to tell you but the part they are listing is wrong I checked with two distributors. If you want go to www.appliancepartspros.com. Put in your part number Part W10484681. Scroll down the page a little and it will have a box to check compatibility with your machine. Put your model number in and it will tell you not compatible. Then put the number in I have you W10484678 and do the same you will that it is now compatible with your machine. I work on these machines all the time and my distributors are never wrong.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I went to the website and it said my part is compatible and the part you gave me was not??????????

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Appliance pros said the correct part # is AP5645971 which is different than both of the previous numbers we discussed?????????????

Expert:  joeyt56 replied 11 months ago.
Ok I see my mistake now, I miss read your model number I put in ntw4650

I'm sorry at this point I have to leave my shop and won't be back for a little while. I know you want this resolved quickly. I will opt out so another expert can jump in. If no one helps you I will pick up the conversation in a few hours.

Sorry for the confusion.

I would still be looking at a faulty control board but I don't want to keep you waiting.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry but this is getting frustrating a lot of time wasted and no further along than I was when I asked the question yesterday

Expert:  FixAll replied 11 months ago.
Hi thanks for choosing Just answer was reading over some of your previous posts, seems as if your having quite a bit of trouble, there was two things I found a little confusing, you have two of these washers or are you some kind of technician and you have worked on two? I didn't quite understand that. Second it says in one of the post that it used to lock and then unlock and start flashing has this washer ever worked right or has it always been broke since you got it? And third yes it does typically lock then unlock and sense and then fill, going directly into a fill, I would have to agree with one of the other techs sounds as if it was not programmed correctly or you received a bad board as there is nothing that would make it just start filling unless it was not programmed, If it was programmed wrong I would recommend returning it and putting a different board in there and also double checking every single connection to board make sure none are backwards or missing.