Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Kenmore heavy duty cloths dryer, Model 110.87873100, natural

Customer Question

Kenmore heavy duty cloths dryer, Model 110.87873100, natural gas with lint trap filter on top.It is a 1990 model and I would like to clean beyond the lint filter and replace the gasket down there and inspect or replace the belt and get another 20 years out of it. It is the most efficient dryer I have ever seen. It was the largest capacity I could get at the time and has an oblong door instead of a round door. Can you help me out
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate my assistance when we're done. Please talk with me first before rating negatively.

You need to remove the lint screen then the two screws by the lint screen. Once that is off you can pop the top so you can lift it up. Just use a screwdriver to pop the top front edge. Then remove the back panel on the unit. Then there are a few screws around the lint duct tube. Once that is off you can pop the top and you can lift the lint tube out. I would just get a tube brush and brush it out along with vacuuming it out down below as you can get inside of it once the duct tube is removed.

Here is a video to replace the belt and obviously the gasket as it is glued to the tub once you have it out to replace the belt. Just copy and paste the link below into your address bar for the belt and video.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Belt/341241/529597
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for the video address.

I have had this unit since I bought it new in 1990 or 1991, and it is large and works really well and seems efficient, but I have nothing to compare it to. This is all I have known.

I would like to keep it another 20 years or so. What do you think? Could you tell me if I should replace other parts while I have it apart or buy a new one.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX pay you more money of course for your extra time.

No problem at all. It is a very good dryer and could easily go for another 20yrs. Just check the rollers and idler pulley. Other than that everything should be fine. Even if the motor goes down the road it is a very straightforward repair. I would keep it for sure, it was one of the best dryers ever built.
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience: Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your service

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear appliance Guru.

I have done all you said, but the lint duct tube will not slide through the top nor slide out the back.

duct tube from topduct tube from back

This unit has a partial back/top panel that is not screwed but welded and keeps the duct tube from sliding up or down. I also need to replace the two gaskets. The fan was just loaded with sand and dust lint.

You should be able to see inside of the duct, it looks really clean. I would not worry about that being the problem as they only get a bit of build up at the base. The gaskets glue onto the drum the gaskets come with glue and instructions to do it with the part.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, I have ordered the foam gasket for the upper part of the duct tube that goes into the drum, but gasket for the lower part where the fan goes I cannot find anywhere. I have spent hours looking. Please help me out and I will quit bothering you. :-)

Again, thank you for your help

You can just get a roll of window foam at a hardware store. It is sticky on one side. It will work just fine.