Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

How can I remove the drain pump from a Kenmore 831 washing

How can I remove the drain pump from a Kenmore 831 washing machine. I have the front panel removed and the hoses removed.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back. there are two screws underneath going up through the floor, some are on top going down but it looks like your come up through the bottom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, so the pump won't be coming out, until there is absolutely no other option but to unstack the dryer and tilt the washer back ten inches...Oy!

By removing the drain trap, I can touch the drain pump fins from both directions. I cannot spin the fins. Is my conjecture that something like a long piece of yarn has gotten this far in the drain system sound?

Or maybe I should try to remove the hose from the tub to the back of the drain trap from the top end, by the tub, to check the whole run of that tube?

yeah most likely your right. theres one other way possibly, but it too is difficult, the back part of the pump (motor and impeller) come off of these. some have screws other have tabs you push in and turn the whole motor and pull it off. it looks like your is a tab type.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan, buddy, I'm gonna give you an "A" for awesome on this one. Try as i might, I couldn't figure out how to remove the motor, though it looked clearly like ti should be removable. So with lots of elbow grease and finesse, it turned. And voila! out comes a loose elastic bra strap! Thank you, sir!

that's great ! make sure when you put it back in the rubber seal is in place and you can use a little Vaseline to make it go back together easier, thanks and well wishes, please remember to rate me 3 or above before leaving, have a great night. Bryan