Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a KitchenAid 6 burner range / model # XXXXX It does

Customer Question

I have a KitchenAid 6 burner range / model # XXXXX It does not appear as if it has ever been used. I bought the LP conversion kit. Replaced the burners and flipped over the plastic piece in the regulator. I hooked it up to a 100 lb. propane tank. When I turn the gas on @ the tank propane comes out of the burners even though the control knobs are in the off position. It also makes some occasional noise like air brakes on a truck but not near as loud. Also, when I do turn on a knob only 4 of the igniters work. Whats up with this? Is the regulator failing and if it is why doesn't the valve connected to the knobs prevent propane from escaping?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back. Okay well theres no reason why the gas would come out off the burners if they are off, each burner has its on shut off valve. Surface Burner Valve(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product View so all of them would have to be bad which I doubt, more likely the knobs are on wrong or the wrong knobs. can you check that ? are these your knobs ? Control Knob W10078400       Alternate Product View
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That looks like the knob. the knobs only go on one way. when I turn them on they seem to be operating but the gas blows by when they are in the off position. Gas blows by with an occasional burp. I agree that they all would not go bad together. this unit appears to have never been used. this unit has been sitting for a number of years without gas connected to it.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay well that means the valve seals have deteriorated from sitting so long. .unfortunately the valves would need to be replaced they are sealed and you cant take them apart or they will leak and they don't sell the inner seals. that's the only reason I can think of for that issue. and the news gets worse. My supply houses say not available. now that doesn't mean you wont find them if you search online. the part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN and they are all the same. sorry for the bad news, also the one that doesn't light probably needs the switches, that comes in a set. number 10 on this diagram. that is available at this link. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Kitchenaid-Parts/Cooktop-Parts/4455155/0022/664/Model-KGCP467HSS0/0593/0 121050?keySuffixId=&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=P9120128&diagramPageId=00002&productTypeId=&searchModelNumber=KGCP467HSS0&subCompDesc=Burner%20box/gas%20valves/switches&brandDesc=KITCHENAID&modelDesc=GAS COOKTOP&blt=11&shdMod=KGCP467HSS0&keyId=10
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was looking to use this as a backup in case the SHTF. Maybe only one or two are bad and if I can identify which one I could just plug off that fitting, right?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I guess if you can get a plug that would fit the valve itself you could probably do that, I don't recommend it for safety reasons however. what I mean is I would never tell someone to do that. if you were going to attempt that it would have to be done at the valve. removing the tube that goes to the burner. in other words cap the valve itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just messed around w it again. The valves seem to be working. Do these ranges have some type of pressure release mechanism? Is that what I am hearing when it burps? When I turn the gas on it seems like it pressurizes and then it sounds like it releases some pressure in bursts. I have a full 100 lb LP tank connected to the regulator w a hot water heater steel hose which is maybe 3/8 to 1/2 inch tubing. The tank is only 3 feet from the range for testing purposes. Could there be too much pressure produced from my hook up arrangement? Do tanks usually feed a 1 in line that gets reduced at the appliance reducing the pressure. I'm not a scientist.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well the tank has a pressure valve that controls the pressure out so that should be fine, the range has a regulator also which further reduces the pressure and regulates it. there may be air in the lines and that's the burp, its possible that the valves needed to expand and seat also. if its working now the burps should go away once the air in the line is out. that's about all I can tell you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. Messed around w it some more. Found a gas leak on the regulator between the two "halves" that are riveted together. I have to assume the regulator has failed and is not regulating like it should. Is that part available? Do you think replacing it will correct the problem? Thanks.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
the regulator is still available and its possible that could fix it. heres a link to order that. http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-regulator-9759091-ap3778602.html please remember to rate me three or above before signing off so I get credit for spending time to help you, thanks and the question will stay open even after you rate me so you can come back if needed.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The propane tank arrangement I am using is giving the appliance too much pressure. When I turn the knob I can hear it hiss. When I light it the flame shoots 6 in high. How can I hook this appliance up to the tank. Do I need a larger gas line to mimic the one in gas pipe in a home?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
it sounds like the regulator on the tank itself is bad, Can you try replacing that first ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no regulator on the tank. The regulator is on the appliance. There is the valve on the tank like every other tank. The valve works. There is something wrong with my arrangement that is allowing too much pressure to the appliance.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
all propane tanks have to have a regulator by law. yours doesn't have this ?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here