Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

Hi - I have a Whirlpool Electric Range - Model No. WFE366LB.

Hi - I have a Whirlpool Electric Range - Model No. WFE366LB. There is power to the range. The indicator lights are on and functioning. Neither the ceramic cooktop nor the oven will operate. The cleaning oven lockout is not engaged. Any thoughts?

Appliance Tech Dave :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with your oven problem. I will check the wiring diagram to see if there is anything other than power supply that could cause this.

Customer:

Thank you.

Appliance Tech Dave :

Hello, you have lost the L2 side of your power supply from the house. At the terminal block where the power supply wiring comes into the oven it is the red wire. If you have circuit breakers, turn the oven breaker off and on a few time to see if power resets. If you have fuses one may be blown. Let me know what you find.

Customer:

Oven breaker for the home correct at our breaker box? Correct?

Appliance Tech Dave :

Yes, in the house. There is nothing inside the oven that can cause you to lose both the oven and the cooktop.

Customer:

Understood. Stand bye and I will cycle. Modern home (1997) with a modern breaker....

Appliance Tech Dave :

Okay

Customer:

Hi - No luck. Cycled breaker, on-off (3) times.....Power to range was on but only to the indicator lights & clock. When I turned on the cooktop and range, the Oven light (on) came on, but neither the cooktop nor range started to heat up. Also, the internal oven light does go on & off.

Appliance Tech Dave :

All the lights operate on 120 vac from the L1 side and neutral. Without the L2 side none of the heating elements will work. Do you have a volt meter or test light?

Customer:

Unfortunately no, I don't have a volt meter or test light.....

Appliance Tech Dave :

Can you check where the power cord goes into the oven to see if there is a wire burned off?

Customer:

Yes, stand bye....

Customer:

Bingo.....L2 burnt off luckily on the cord side.....Any guesses why this happened? Also, can I purchase a replacement cord at the local Home Depot or Lowes?

Appliance Tech Dave :

This is cause when the installer didn't properly tighten the connection. Yes you can get this at almost any good hardware or electrical store. You just saved a lot of labor $! Congrats!

Customer:

Interesting and I think you hit the nail on the head. I noticed when I disconnected the cover plate and the cord connection, instead of two screws holding the cord in place there was only one....Makes sense.....

Appliance Tech Dave :

Glad you found it.

Customer:

Thanks for all of your assistance. You have helped considerably....Have a great rest of the weekend....Gary

Appliance Tech Dave :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Dave

Appliance Tech Dave : Gary, did you confirm that the terminal block where the power cord attaches to the oven and the wires from the oven tht attach to it are in good shape? If they are good then all you need is the cord. Do you need any more help? If not, don't forget to rate me as that is the only way I get paid. Thanks.
Customer: Hi Dave. I thought I completed the transaction and rated you. In addition to the power cord. I also found that the terminal block was damaged. I was able to purchase a new terminal block locally and completed the repairs today. All is OK. Thanks. Gary