Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE XL 1800 Over The Stove Microwave Oven, now it is

I have a GE XL 1800 Over The Stove Microwave Oven, now it is noisy but still heats food is this the high voltage diode making this noise and is this something I can replace?
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Is the noise a loud buzz or hum ? do you smell anything funny like a plasticly burning smell,? that's usually what an HV diode smells like when it going.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hum no smell

okay that can be only one of two things. 1 the magnetron. Magnetron WB27X10017      Alternate Product View $189.00 or 2

the high voltage transformer. High Voltage Transformer - Part # XXXXX Mfg Part # XXXXX $205.00 , so at this point you need to make a decision, repair or replace. I wish it was the diode truly, sorry, Most people choose to replace the microwave and theres good reason for that, if its the transformer it may have already damaged the magnetron and that could fail at any time. the only way to know which one is bad is to remove one wire from the magnetron and isolate it start the microwave and if you still have the loud hum it the transformer. be careful if you decide to do this. the high voltage capacitor store lethal amounts of voltage.