Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

I am thinking of buying this model from a friend - GE GSH25JSRFSS

I am thinking of buying this model from a friend - GE GSH25JSRFSS - It has a problem with the bottom hinge on the freezer door - looks like the hinge pin is broken, and you can see that there is a water line that may run through the hinge pin - that is also severed. I can see that the hinge is replaceable, but I can find no parts or diagram for the water hose which is going up into the freezer door to the ice / water dispenser. Can you advise?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Give me a few minutes please to look at your model diagrams.

Thanks,
Barry
Patrick I cannot tell for sure but it appears to me there are no screws under the door gasket, are you with the unit now?

Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no but I have a pretty good memory

Okay give me some time to type, I will tell you exactly what to do.

Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i can send you a picture

That will work fine. You can upload it here or a site like tinypic.com and send me a link to it. If you upload here give each window you open a minute before closing out after you locate the picture. Its a llittle slow and you cannot see it.

Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

picture of bottom hinge, showing water line (severed)

Yes that will be fine. I have a diagram but if you could post a picture without much trouble that would be great.

Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

does your diagram show anything about the water line? you can see in the picture that the water line comes up from below and goes into the door. It looks as if it goes through the hinge pin, but the pictures of the hinge pin part I see online are not clear enough to tell if the hinge pin is hollow to accomodate the water line, or if it is a separate part. Sending me a diagram of that would be very helpfulXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

The diagrams are close but not exact. They almost never put the screws there or they will just put a couple. Some of the doors come apart and some do not. This is how to tell. Open the door and roll the gasket back. If there are screws under that door gasket that water line is repairable. You can pull a new line through the door just like pulling wire through a conduit.

If there are no screws under that door gasket Patrick that door will be foamed together and you will not be able to repair it. The only thing you can do is replace the door. The tubing comes with the new door foamed it. Door's are expensive, if there are screws under the gasket though that is how to know. Door or tubing, also down below the doors behind the panel there in the front is a connector for that tubing to come apart.

Please ask if you have any questions at all.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

is it possible to replace the bottom hinge without repairing the severed water hose? I cannot tell if the hinge pin is part of the door or part of the hinge, nor can I tell if the hinge pin is plastic or metal - do you know?

There are 2 plastic parts that help close the door. Those are cams that lift the door when you open it so when you release it the cams drop it shut. One part mounts to the top of the lower hinge and the other mounts to the lower part of the door. All are hollow for the tubing.

Yes you can use the refrigerator fine, you probably should at some point cap that line off there where it comes from under the refrigerator. It is not normally pressured there unless you press the water dispenser for water, but someone who did'nt know may come and press for water which would put it on the floor. You can use the ice maker fine.

Thanks,
Barry
The hinge is a metal hinge.

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Arrowed green in the first image below is the top half of the door cam, then arrowed red in the lower image is the lower half of the door cam. Then the hinge is arrowed green at the very bottom of that image.

Barry
click images to enlarge them.
graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

thanks for the diagrams - would you agree that, from the pic i sent you, it appears that the hinge (part #261) appears to be broken - there is no vertical tube except what is attached to the hose - with the hose running through it.

Can you clarify about removing the door - is there an electric plug somewhere, or will the door just lift off of the hinge?

Your welcome. The wire connector will either be under the top hinge cover and some are behind the kick panel at the bottom below the doors. Its not shown and I do know it will be in one or the other of those places. I have a picture of one type below.

For some reason Patrick your picture did not come through. They have been upgrading the website and for some reason that tool is very picky right now. There are metal plates that are mounted to the backside of that hinge for the screws to thread into and provide something strong for that hinge to rest against. But its under the bottom of the refrigerator directly behind the hinge. You might want to see if there is something wrong with that plate, make sure the screws are not stripped back there.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

is there a plug there that I can unplug in order to remove the door - regardless of whether the wire is at the top or bottom?

Yes there are plug's either one at the top or one at the bottom that allows that door to be removed. I have arrowed in the picture. I do not have a picture of the top style.

Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

thank you!!

You are very welcome Patrick. Thank you for the opportunity.

Barry