Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We just got a Whirlpool Duet washer. Its all hooked up, but

Customer Question

We just got a Whirlpool Duet washer. It's all hooked up, but when we try to push the power button it just beeps 3 times. Nothing lights up. The only thing that works is the lock control button. What do we need to do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This can be caused by two different things. You could have a bad interface control board or your motor control board could be confusing your washer. I know this is under warranty since this brand new so you may want to call warranty, however, there is something you can check if you want to try and fix it without parts.

You would need to pull the washer out and unplug it then remove the three screws coming in from the back of the front panel and the top panel will pull straight back, up, and off. There is a connection plug into the main control board in the front right corner labeled MI3. Disconnect this wire harness, plug the washer back in, and see if the control panel will function properly now. If not then you have a bad control panel. If it does work you would want to check the wire connections and plug in the MI3 connection. Hopefully it's only a loose connection somewhere between the motor control board and the main control board, if not then you have a faulty motor control board.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Unplugged, unhooked, plugged in and still three beeps when you push the power button. So, that means it's a busted main control board?

Aye, that does mean that you have a bad main control board.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

That's a "call a repair service" to fix it or buy a new part and DIY?

Well if it's less than a year old, just call warranty to replace the part---but unless you're really handy, you would likely need to call repair anyways because the part is actually quite difficult to replace.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'm pretty sure it's over a year old. It is a "hand-me-down" from a family member. It worked for them. Thank you for your help. Although the answer isn't what I wanted to hear, it is still very helpful. Have a better day than I'm fixing to have. My old washer is on the back porch. In the rain. Yuck.

Aye, I am sorry about the bad luck you're having. Just as a reference, the part you'd need to replace is W10319815 and it's about $250.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.