How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike Your Own Question
Mike
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 17629
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Mike is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an over the stove Kenmore Elite Microwave Model 721.63764300

This answer was rated:

I have an over the stove Kenmore Elite Microwave Model 721.63764300 purchased in July 2003.

The other day I put in a cup of coffee to warm it up. When I pushed the start button the microwave clicked or buzzed and I immediately shut it off. I tried again with the same results. I tried a third time and it worked fine. It worked fine for several uses after that incident.

Yesterday I put an item in the microwave to warm it up. I set the time and pressed the start button. The microwave clicked or buzzed a moment and then it went dead. The display window is completely dark. I have checked the fuse in the circuit that feeds the microwave and it is okay.

I then called a local repair person and explained my problem. They He said it probably is the high voltage (something or other). He said considering the age of the microwave I would probably be better off buying a new one rather than having him coming out to diagnose the problem and try and repair it.

I would like to have your opinion regarding what you think my problem might be and what is the best solution. Should I fix it or buy a replacement?
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

The problem here is either going to be the magnetron, High voltage capacitor or High voltage diode. This is not a good DIY fix because factory test equipment will be needed to accurately diagnose the problem plus the unit stores lethal voltage even when unplugged.

I recommend you take the unit down and take it to a experienced workshop to have it fixed. The cost would be anywhere between $150 - $250, Bearing in mind that most new units cost around $229 you may want to look for a new unit.

After the warning given if you decide you want to fix this yourself and have a multi-meter and amp meter I would be happy to assist you further :)

I would like to earn your highest rating, Please reply If you have any other questions or need further assistance.


If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction, please don't forget to rate me before you leave.


It was my pleasure helping you today. Feel free to get back to me here at any time if you have additional questions at no further charge. Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.


Please also remember if you have future questions regarding a faulty appliance, You can request me personally to assist you with the problem :)

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you