Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

I have a Samsung Frontload washer M# XXXXX and the

I have a Samsung Frontload washer M# XXXXX and the door will not lock. Do I need to replace the locking mechanism? Is there an easy way to get to it?

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

Do you hear the door try to lock when you start the machine?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. I stick my finger in the hole and the mechanism has some spring to it but the latch doesn't want to grab it

Replacing the lock is easy on this model, if you look at the door boot you will see a wire wrapped aroung it with a spring, you can pry the wire off near the spring and it gives you easy access to the lock, you can order this lock by clicking on the blue link below..

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 s please consider replying and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Let me go look at the washer real quick in regard to this wire and spring. I will be right back

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't see a wire and spring. There is a hard white plastic ring around the opening of the washer that seems to be holding the boot in place

The ring looks like this Wire DC97-04973B     Main Product View and the spring will be near the bottom of the door opening, it is item 1 in th epicture below..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Stand by

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not see a wire and spring. I have run my fingers into every crevice of the boot and along both the inside and outside of the plastic white ring. The ring has some sort of handle at the top of the washer opening but nothing happens when I pull on it

There is a grey rubber ring going completely around the opening, the spring is there..

Here is a video on replacing the boot, however you are not doing it, but it shows removing that ring I am talking about... to get to the door lock

Click here for a video on how to replace it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry - I thought I lost you. I have the piece out. The plastic housing for the latch is all broken and the springs are hanging out of it. Reply back and I will go in and rate you. Thanks for your help