Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

After replacing a broken water activator on a Kenmore XXXXXXXXXXX

After replacing a broken water activator on a Kenmore XXXXXXXXXXX when I reconnect the front panel, the icemaker immediately starts to turn and although I can hear the water activator clicking the solenoid, there is no flow of water. There is no response from any of the control buttons except the "light" which flickers briefly when pressed.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.

Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Can you resend the model number with a space in between each number ? it didn't come through.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ready when you are.

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
okay I'm ready but your model number didn't come through, can you resend it with a space between each number ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

2 5 3 5 1 2 3 2 1 0 2

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
okay perfect, now on the back of the refrigerator there is the tube that runs to the ice maker connected to the valve , remove that from the valve and blow through it. is it clear ? can you blow through it ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Give me a couple of minutes

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
no problem take your time.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

At the top of the fridge there is in inlet for the water hose to the water dispenser. I have disconnected it and I am unable to blow down the tube.

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
okay lets see if I understood correctly. did you replace the valve ? Water Inlet ValveNNN-NN-NNNN      Main Product View and now its not making ice ? or did you replace something else?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The only thing I replaced was the water activator lever. Nothing else.

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
oh okay I miss understood. so you replaced the paddle ? number 24 ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
okay that's good. its sounds like one of the switches is stuck in on this. the switches are number 38A on the diagram. was anything else broken in that ? is the paddle out like it used to be before it broke ? (in the correct position) ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Both switches are free and click and return when depressed. Nothing else broken and the replacement paddle is in the same place as the old one.

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
I'm sorry I have to opt out, I just had an emergency come up. someone else will pick this right up.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

OK

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Is there any reason why the light stays on and the crush ice light is lit?

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
hello I just got back and noticed no one helped you I'm sorry. let me know when your back on and I'll see what I can do.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I'm here

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ill be out for about 25 minutes. Be back by 4.30pm pst.

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
okay
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok. Let's fix the fridge,

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
I wish it was that easy. actually the dispenser control is most likely the issue. can you get any of the button to respond ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Lock button works

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
okay, unfortunately if its none of the other buttons are responding the dispenser board has failed. when this happened was the paddle stuck is ? or did it just break ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

That would be part 38 or 38C? Right now part 38C is unplugged but the fridge is powered up. If I connect part 38C, the icemaker auger starts and the light comes on. If I press "lock" the indicator light flickers. If I press "light", the light flickers but stays on. If I unplug the fridge and wait say 30 seconds, when I plug it in again, the Lock feature still flashes but the icemaker auger has stopped. If I deactivate the "lock", the auger immediately starts up.

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
well basically yes. its this board. Main Control BoardNNN-NN-NNNN      Main Product View number 38C on the diagram. its an $85.00 part so i recommend getting it here. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/241700102/1196717?modelNumber=253.51232102?RCAID=1000065 just in case because you cant test them to see if its bad. that link however will let you return it even if you installed it so at least your safe but I'm pretty confident thats it.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.