Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hi Larry, Are you available for a question re: Kenmore gas

Hi Larry, Are you available for a question re: Kenmore gas dryer

Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today.can you resend the model number with a space in between each number ? it didn't come through.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Model 110 87980100

okay perfect, So I gather you have a volt meter correct ? can you unplug the igniter and run the dryer while testing for 120 volts going to the igniter ?sorry it looks like you already did, was there 120 volts ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No under 30 volts to the igniter

okay , Can you test continuity on the flame sensor? Flame Sensor 338906 Main Product View this is mounted on the side of the heater can. heres a video on how to do that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this is weird but the flame sensor only has one terminal on itbut I don't believe that the flame sensor would stop the igniter from glowing because its not wired through it

that's the problem. I've seen the terminals break off those a lot. check around and I'll bet you find a wire with the other terminal still connected to it,. they all have two terminals. and yes it would keep the igniter from glowing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yep there isDefinitely A white write I asSUMED went to the flame sensor but I couldn't see how from the wiring diagram how that would stop the igniter from firing. Can't believe the terminal just broke off. As soon as I get home I'll jumper to confirm, order a new part and give you an A+ rating. Thank you

it does because the flame sensor has to have continuity for the igniter to glow and once it glow enough for the flame sensor to sense it . the igniter wont glow if the sensor is bad. you can bypass it for a test and I'll bet you get 120 volts then.