Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Looking for a trouble shooting procedure for an intermittent

Looking for a trouble shooting procedure for an intermittent ice maker on a Kenmore Coldspot Model 106.56563400 serial number SR2329583. the unit is presently in the failed state. We have water available on the water dispenser and the door and ice sensors appear to be working correctly according to a sensor operation checklist i found on the internet. Any guidance you can offer?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the issue is that you can only test and determine the problem when the icemaker is actually acting up and not making ice. So there are two problems that can really be intermittent and that's the icemaker itself or the emitter boards. The next time the problem happens, you'll need to open the door and push the flap on the left side wall closed for the emitter receiver. If the red light doesn't go solid on the right side of the freezer, you'll need to order and replace the emitter boards. If the light does go solid but the icemaker just won't make ice, you'd need to replace the icemaker because it's either sticking or the thermostat inside isn't reading properly and doesn't think it's less than 10 degrees in your freezer so it won't cycle the icemaeker.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Emitter check out OK. Is the Ice Maker available as a complete assembly or do I need to go to parts direct and order all the individual sub-assemblies?

Thanks again.

J

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The icemaker is sold as a complete assembly. Below is a link to the icemaker as well as a video that shows you how to replace the part.

CLICK HERE for icemaker

CLICK HERE for video

Now I will also mention that you want to make sure that your freezer is below 10 degrees. The icemaker will not cycle if the freezer is above 10 degrees.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc