Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

whirlpool frig/freezer mod ED5KUEXVB07. Refrig is working

whirlpool frig/freezer mod ED5KUEXVB07. Refrig is working but not freezer. New in March 2013. What do I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the first thing you need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the screws going into the lower back panel of the freezer. Remove that panel and look at the silver coils behind it. Is there any frost on the coils? If so, what does it look like?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok. this will take some time. are there 6 screws?

OK , just let me know when you can. I'm not sure exactly how many screws there are, but 4-6 sounds about right.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok. NO frost.

OK, sorry for all that trouble, but now you can button everything back up. Next, you need to pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel behind the refrigerator. Is the fan next to the compressor running? And if you touch the compressor, is it room temperature, warm, or blazing hot?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok. I'll let you know.

ok, sounds good.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

fan running. compressor hot.

Ok perfect. This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out.  It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over.  Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator.  Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor.  There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it.  This is your overload relay.  Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it.  If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced.  If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok. I'll go check.

ok, either way, you have either a bad overload relay or a compressor. You and I can't control which part failed, but whatever parts failed, you'll need to have replaced. If there is any doubt, just replace the overload relay as it's much cheaper than the compressor as I'm sure you can imagine.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

there is a rattle in the overload box. can I go to a repair shop and pick up the part?

You'll need to go to a local appliance parts store or order it online at a place like Repairclinic.com in order to get the part. These parts won't just be at a hardware store.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

is it generic or will it have to be whirlpool? Any idea of cost? (even a range would be helpful.)

It's not generic, it's specific to the model so you will have to bring in your model number, and the cost is usually around $50.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok. do most appliance repair shops carry all brands?

and do you know if this would be covered by warentee?

Yes, most parts stores will carry this part as it's fairly common to fail. But yes, this unit is less than 1 year old so I would call warranty because it will definitely be covered under warranty.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.