Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience:  Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business

I have a GE side by side Refrigerator with ice maker and ice

I have a GE side by side Refrigerator with ice maker and ice and water despenser in the door that I purchased used at an estate sale 10 years ago. Today it had a burning rubber smell so my wife moved all the freezer items to our second freezer and unplugged the refrigerator until I got home. When I got home I took the back off and vacuumed and blew all the dust out. I plugged it back in. There is a buzzing noise coming from it and there is still a burning rubber smell.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appl-Tech replied 9 months ago.

Appl-Tech :

Hello, thanks for letting us answer your questions. We appreciate your business!
You may have a problem with the compressor. Do you have some tools to remove the rear cardboard panel on the back of the fridge?

Customer:

I already removed it and cleaned out all the dust

Appl-Tech :

Is the compressor running?

Customer:

it is warm and vibrating

Appl-Tech :

Ok, it sounds like the compressor is running.
Are you getting any cooling inside the freezer section?

Customer:

yes it is getting cold, the buzzing stops when I open the freezer door and starts again when I close the door.

Appl-Tech :

Great, we are getting closer. If the sound starts up when the door is closed, try pressing the switch on the door frame and tell me if the sound comes back

Customer:

yes

Appl-Tech :

Are you saying that the noise coming from inside is not a normal sound?

Appl-Tech :

Is the smell you were refering to, coming from inside the freezer section?

Customer:

no, it has never been this loud

Customer:

both freezer and refrigerator

Appl-Tech :

Ok, Here is what is the problem is: the noise you hear is coming from the circulation fan located in the back of the freezer section. It is a very common problem and I replace alot of them every year. You will need to remove the back panel inside the freezer to gain access to the fan motor. Give me a minute and I will look up the part number for you.

Appl-Tech :

Full Size Image

Appl-Tech :

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Evaporator-Fan-Motor/WR60X190/1246
purchase link if you want to do this yourself

Customer:

I pulled the cover off and I don't see a fan. I can feel a fan blowing when I have the door open. All I see is coils. The bottom coils have ice on them.

Appl-Tech :

the fan is above the coils

Customer:

Would it be behind the Ice Maker at the top of the freezer?

Appl-Tech :

Full Size Image

Appl-Tech :

yes it is behind the icemaker . It is a job to take it apart

Appl-Tech :

#610 is the motor

Appl-Tech :

you are probably not getting the proper air flow over the coil also if you have frost on the coil.

Customer:

What is making the burning rubber smell?

Appl-Tech :

Is the smell comng from inside the freezer section?

Customer:

I also need a new door seal for the refrigerator. The bottom has come off the door and one corner has seperated.

Customer:

I am not smelling it right now. I smelled it about 5 minutes after I plugged it back in.

Customer:

My wife smells it much more than me.

Appl-Tech : Freezer Door Gasket WR24X5230 $78.80
Customer:

Freezer door gasket is fine it is the refrigerator door gasket

Appl-Tech :

There are not many things on your fridge that would smell like burning other than the relay on the side of the compressor

Appl-Tech :

sorry

Customer:

This Refrigerator is over 10 years old. It is worth putting this much into it or should I look for a replacement?

Appl-Tech : Refrigerator Door Gasket WR24X5231 99.80
Customer:

So I am looking at $200+ for parts.

Appl-Tech :

you have a couple of things going wrong and its going to be 200 for the parts plus YOUR time to replace the parts.

Appl-Tech :

It depends on how much your time is worth plus the agravation factor of doing something you are not familiar with.

Customer:

So would I be better off buying a new Refrigerator/Freezer?

Appl-Tech :

Its really a judgement call on your part. The fridge will probably still give you some yrs of service, but some people just dont want to spend the time

Customer:

What would a service call be to replace these 2 items?

Appl-Tech :

As i said before the fan motor replacement is a job. It takes me about 1 hour so it would be probably 3hrs for you
The door seal is a challenge also, you will have to tinker with it to get it all lined up once you get the new seal on the door. There are about 30 screws holding it on

Appl-Tech :

you will probably have 120-175 plus the parts for a service tech to do it

Appl-Tech :

If you have been satisfied with my help and have no further questions for me, may I please ask that you rate my help as positive for JA today?
You may continue to ask me any follow-up questions after rating my help by hetting the "Save & Exit" Button. I will be notified by email of your request should you still need my help.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help you out with your question.

Customer:

I think I might rather buy a new Refrigerator that will last me a lot longer. Because Murphy lives in my house.

Appl-Tech :

LOL I know that guy!!

Appl-Tech :

I think he is my cousin

Customer:

Ok, thanks.

Appl-Tech :

you are very welcome

Appl-Tech :

I hope I have helped you out

Appl-Tech :

Please dont forget to rate my services for you tonight.
Have a great evening

Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience: Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business