Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

For a maytag washing machine, I posted earlier this week about

For a maytag washing machine, I posted earlier this week about a problem with the spin cycle and small water leakage. I was advised to change the pump which I just did and although there is no leak, the spin cycle still doesn't spin. There are three gears which are driven by the belt which are all spinning when the motor is on. The tech who helped me earlier thought the water was causing slippage on the belt but now we know that's not the problem. What should I try?

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

Can I get the complete model number of the washer please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The unit is now draining the water but does not spin at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But the unit is agitating okay, correct?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't think it is.
Well the agitation and the spin are controlled by the thrust bearing, this is the large pulley underneath, even if the gearcase was broken it should still spin, this is the case many times for the complaint that you are giving at this time, The thrust bearing is very easy to replace and even comes with directions on doing it correctly..

You can click on the blue link below to order the correct part for your washing machine.

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 s please consider replying and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just so I understand, is the thrust bearing inside the shaft which should convert the turning gear to spin the basin? If so, what causes it to engage/ disengage during the various cycles?

Thanks so much
Yes , when the unit agitates it spins one way and the other way when it spins, it lifts the gearcase off the brake so it will spin...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I installed the new thrust bearing and the spin started working, however, on the first load, it stopped again. Do you think I installed it incorrectly or something else is wrong?
It is possible that you could have installed it incorrectly, just check it again..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The only part I wasn't sure about was the alignment of the arrow. With either washer or both washers, I couldn't get it to line up so that the arrow could pass the mark marginally on either side depending what washer/ combinations I was using. The rest seemed pretty self explanatory
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Also, it spun while empty and once I started it it was obviously agitating.
If yo turn the pulley by hand can you make the tub spin?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Either the thrust bearing is not set correctly to lift the brake off the hub, or the brake assembly has seized to the hub.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

good news. ive got it spinning and agitating correctly again. bad news. its leaking from somewhere.

There are not many areas for it to leak, is it leaking from on top of the gearcase?