Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My maytag Centinnial washer keeps turning the water on and

My maytag Centinnial washer keeps turning the water on and off as it is filling up. What could the problem be? I thought it was the water solenoid valve, and we replaced it, but it still does it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So there is no problem with the water turning on and off while it's filling. What happens is that the washer has an automatic temperature control which measures the temperature of the water coming in. If you select cold water, or warm water, or hot water and the temperature isn't quite correct, it will keep shutting the hot or cold water off to regulate the temperature. There is no way to fill the washer with just straight cold water anymore. Even when you select cold water, some hot water will come in and the valve will turn on and off. This is just a feature that this model washer has to regulate the temperature and make sure that the detergent gets dissolved even when you select cold water. It's the same thing when you select other cycles other than cold water, the water valves will still shut off and on to regulate the temperature.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks. What part do I need to replace to correct this problem?

So you can't correct the problem... It's a "feature" not a problem. It's just how the washer is designed. There is no way to stop it from working this way.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

but, it's been working perfectly for the last couple of years. It just started doing this, so I figured something must have went bad.

Is the water completely stopping and turning on? Or does the flow rate just change as the valves turn on and off?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It completely stops for about 2 or three seconds, then turns back on for 2 or 3 seconds. I thought it was a water level thing.

OK so completely stopping is a problem, that was the confusion. So make sure you have good water pressure on both hot and cold water coming to the washer. If so, then you need to replace the automatic temperature control inside the control panel. It's part number W10248240. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order and replace.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX try that

No problem and good luck!
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.