Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I bought a used Kenmore washer with the number W10316792 on

I bought a used Kenmore washer with the number W10316792 on the back. Less than 3 years old. Worked great before the move, but know it won't fill with water. Hoses on my end are working properly. I'm thinking something jiggled loose while transporting. Young widow in Wichita. PLEASE HELP!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The only thing that can leak oil on this washer is the transmission because it's the only thing with oil inside. Now the transmission is never really designed to be taken apart, it's supposed to be a sealed system. But you can run a cycle and if the transmission is really loud, you may have to drop the transmission, remove it, and split it open to fill it up with more oils (2 cycle oil). Then bolt it back together and put some form of gasket sealant around the border of the transmission before you bolt the 2 parts together to seal it up inside.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

This has nothing to do with oil. It doesn't fill with water. Cycle starts fine and all is good until it should fill. Please respond to question at hand. Thanks.

OK I thought you were asking about the oil. Why are you saying the cycle start fine and all is good until it should fill? Isn't the first thing the washer does is fill? How can the cycle start without filling?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

You would think. It comes on and I can hear my hoses fill that connect to washer, but then it stops and does not shut off, it just pauses and doesn't go any further. Have disconnected the hoses to make sure all is well and water is making it to washer. Moved it downstairs when I bought it a week ago and then it didn't work. Worked great prior to the move. Could a valve inside have busted or something come loose?

So it sounds like your valve is either bad or possibly you installed new stainless steel braided flood safe hoses? If you have stainless steel flood safe hoses installed, remove them and install the rubber hoses because this washer pulls water too quickly and will trip flood-safe hoses for no reason. Other than that, make sure the wire connections to the valve are good and if so, replace the valve.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ha ha ha. No new steel braided hoses (i wish). Where is the valve located and are the wire connections easy to replace. Money is tight and I would really like to do this myself. Why would wires go bad from being moved from one location to another? Not trying to be a "B" but I really want to understand. Thank you so much for your help.

I couldn't really way why wires or anything would go bad when moving it, but vibrations and the fact you moved the unit could cause the tub to move around and hit things. But the valve is the part that literally sits on the back of your washer and the fill hoses connect directly to the valve. So just follow the fill hoses and that will connect to the valve. The wires are all plug and play on the valve itself so they are easy to pull off and push back on.

Also, I want to mention that the number you have listed is a part number, not the model number. The model number is XXXXX under the lid down near the hinges or just behind the door somewhere. EIther way, you'll need the correct model number to order the correct valve.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

One last question. Went down and looked under lid for model #. is this correct? XXXXXXXXXXX I'll pay rest of money and give you a good rating. My ineptitude is not your fault. Crap, really wanted to do this myself. Thanks again! If you can send step by step instructions my e-mail is furflea01@gmail. Thank you for your time.

can you re-send the model with a space between each number so that I can see it?  The website is blocking the model because it looks too much like a phone number so all I can see is XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

2 1 2 0 2 0 1 0 1 1 0

Umm, I don't believe that is the model. The model will normaly start with 110 . XXXXXXXX or 417 . XXXXXXXXXX
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Jeez... they don't make it obvious. 110 C05 1 3 1 4 3 9 . I'll leave you alone after this. I realize I will have to admit defeat and have someone come in to fix. Thought I could handle a loose valve :/ Thanks again for taking the time.

OK perfect, that is the model, but I will warn you that looking parts up for this model will be rather difficult. You'll need to go through Sears Parts and Service because this is a Canadian model sold in Canada and apparently transported here to the US since you have it now. Either way, standard part look-ups won't be able to look up this model here in the US, only Sears themselves would be able to look up the parts.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No way! I believe you but it was purchased from Sears in Wichita KS. My friends mom passed away and it's the equivalent of the car that was only driven to church on Sundays. Everything can be found online if you know where to look. Don't know why you are doing this part time but good luck and best wishes.

Hmm, Are you sure there is a "C" after the 110? If so, then it'd definitely a Canadian model, but I have no idea how it would end up in Wichita KS. Either way, I do wish you only the best.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.