Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have an old maytag, washer on bottom , dryer on top, one

I have an old maytag, washer on bottom , dryer on top, one piece. I hauled it laying down on it's back and when set back upright, it leaked some oil on the garage floor where it is stored. Where did this come from and does it need to be replaced?

Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. So the only place oil can come from on one of these is the washer transmission Now that being said if it wasn't a lot of oil it wont be an issue, the oil will seep out of the top of the transmission shaft seal and usually it wont be enough to do any damage though because these have quite a bit in them. Now if a real lot of oil came out that's different. a small puddle wont hurt it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

More than a small puddle, can oil be added or does it need repair

okay that's different, they do sell the oil for this but its a big job to put in. Transmission Oil 350572          Main Product View the transmission has to come out in order to do it. its a pain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would you suggest going ahead and using it , what will it do if it is too low on oil?

if a real lot came out it may damage the transmission. in most cases it wont but like I said if it was a real lot like a whole cup full its best to get some oil in it. Do you have the model number ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was not that much , maybe a 1/4 cup at the most I could not find a model # XXXXX no light in the garage. I think I am going to give it a try. Thanks

Okay if that was all I wouldn't worry about it, It should be just fine. have a great night and please don't forget to rate me 3 or above before signing off. thanks, Bryan