Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
41736587

Bosch smu2046uc dishwasher seems to be advancing through the

Customer Question

Bosch smu2046uc dishwasher seems to be advancing through the cycle more quickly than it used to and dishes are not coming out thoroughly clean. The heating element works but is not coming on at any time during the cycle and when I open the dishwasher at the end I am no longer getting a blast of hot steam like I used to (we usually advance to the end an open it during the drying portion.) This dishwasher has a history of wires breaking where they bend at the hinge and I repair them every year or so. I examined the wires closely and do not see any obvious bad ones, though one might be broken inside the insulation...(usually they arc and melt through).
Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 11 months ago.

Repairman1981 :

If the element is ok, the power to it good, it's just a software problem (bad board) while this usually does the opposite (longer cycle) the software is what controls the run time so that's all it can be. If the heater is bad it causes longer cycles ALL the time.

Repairman1981 :

Sorry ignore that

Repairman1981 :

Told you wrong, didn't look up your model until I went to lookup the board for you

Repairman1981 :

Yours is an old timer model

Customer:

correct - no board, just the mechanical timer

Repairman1981 :

00032371 this is the thermostat that tells the timer to advance when the heater is hot. IF the heater is good this is shorted closed and causing it to skip heating all together. It's mounted on the bottom of the tub

Repairman1981 :

you can order it from 1-888-464-2853 or if you have a local place you normally get your parts that's fine to.

Customer:

so the timer is supposed to wait till the water is heated? It does seem like the dishwasher is no longer 'waiting' at certain times like it used to. I'll give it a try. Thanks

Repairman1981 :

That's really all that can speed up a timer. The timer motor can go bad and slow way down but there are certain stops where it waits for the water to be heated. If it's showing hot all the time (hot like 160 not hot like 120) it will advance faster without ever pausing

Customer:

I've been checking the temp during the cycle and it doesn't get over 105 or so. So it makes sense that the thermostat thinks it's already hot and tells the timer to keep on going. If one of the wires is broken would it cause the same effect? We've just had so many wire problems with this machine... that's always my first suspicion...

Repairman1981 :

well not really unless the 2 going to it are shorted. This thermostat is a close when hot thermostat. So the wires would have to be melted together. I guess it's worth a check, but if wires are melting together you should be blowing breakers not running a fast cycyle

Repairman1981 :

This thing is old, well past it's life expectancy. I wouldn't do any big parts on it. Timer motor etc

Repairman1981 :

But for a thermostat everytime

Repairman1981 :

It's only 15 bucks or so

Customer:

If the thermostat is 'close then hot', that's easy for me to check.

Repairman1981 :

yep.

Repairman1981 :

Kill the power first these old ones use a 120v circuit to that

Customer:

Yes it is old. I'm sort of hoping it will finally die... I'll be safe with the power! I'll check it the thermostat later. For now I gotta go... Thanks!

Repairman1981 :

no problem. Remember to leave feedback it's how we are judged. Thanks! and lemme know how it turns out

Customer:

Ok.

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Took out the thermostat. It was open like it should be. Was able to get it to pop closed with a hairdryer, so it seems to be working. Ran the dishwasher without the thermostat while I kept an eye on it. Went through the whole cycle - again it completed quickly - 40 min. The heating element never came on (I checked it throughout, water never got over 105). Could it be one of the high limit thermostats? (there seem to be two). If all three are wired in parallel and one of them is stuck closed it would produce the same symptom. Thanks

I would say it's closing with the hot water and off in temp. the high limits should be closed and open when bad. If you want to check them.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I was wondering whether the thermostat might be closing at a lower temp. That's why I ran it without the thermostat in place. Same result... Checked the high limit units - one of them appears to be bad. The high limit units seem to be two- position switches and are also connected to the timer advance gizmo. I think that they are normally closed (timer advance open), but when tripped, they open and the timer advance closes. I disconnected the suspect one and the machine ran normally. I'm about to order the new one. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but if that high limit is blown only 2 causes a sticking cycling thermostat (opening at tooo high of a temp) or it being ran without water so and since hot air rises not falls that caused the cycling t-stat wouldn't have opened right. So if you know it wasn't ran without water I would replace both at the same time. I agree if you found an open high limit it should be changed. But there's always a reason for it to be open. You don't wanna have this same issue a few months from now. See it on dryers all the time.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the info. I'll order the thermostat as well!

Lemme know how it works. Thanks!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

New thermostat and high limit are in. Ran it this morning and all is well.

Thanks for the help!

Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 10 months ago.
No problem, lemme know if any other issues arise or if you need anything in the future. Thanks