Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Good morning. On Monday morning. The freezer and refrigerator

Good morning. On Monday morning. The freezer and refrigerator appeared fine. On Monday afternoon I opened the freezer and the ice cream was soft. There was no noise from the refrigerator whatsoever, fans, compressor, etc. We removed the lower rear cover and cleaned the fins for the compressor. After plugging in, the compressor fan was not moving. We then noticed that the vent inside the freezer approximately midway down was blocked. Upon removing the obstruction, a fan came on. After 24 hours, the freezer does not appear to be getting very cold, however is slightly cold. The refrigerator appears to remain at 60° and has not dropped any further. I have the rear panels of the refrigerator, but not really sure where to go next.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back.
do you know if the compressor is running at this point ? can you feel it ? is it Hot Warm or Cold ? does it feel like it vibrating ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Compressor is warm, not hot. It is not vibrating

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Compressor is warm, not hot. It is not vibrating. Fan is not coming on

okay what I need you to do is to remove the 8 X 10 inch cover on the back of the refrigerator and check the control board. you will need to remove the board an look at the back side, (unplug the refrigerator) see if theres a bad solder joint in the area I put an arrow, graphic can you do that ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, change in scenario. The control board appears good. The Compressor fan came on by itself about 4 minutes ago and is running. The compressor feels warm, maybe getting hotter? I have not done anything different since Monday. I did cycle power a few times this AM and I shut off the ice maker.

okay can you remove the back panel inside the freezer section behind your food (if there any still in it) and watch the silver coils ? evaporator coils and see if they are starting to frost ? they should start getting a light coating of frost on them until they all frost evenly,can you do that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Give me a few...

no problem take your time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, sorry... 4yr old found tools again. Removed panel. All fins have what appears to be thick layer of frost. Ice has formed at top. Condenser fan continues to run. Noise in much louder in freezer now that condenser fan is running.

okay what you have is a defrost issue. In this refrigerator its almost always the defrost heater that fails. that's actually a good thing. Its a lot cheaper than then the control board. the first thing you need to do is defrost all the frost with a hair dryer. I'll look up you part in the meantime and get you the info. can you do that ?
okay heres what you need to replace. Defrost Heater Assembly WR51X10101 Alternate Product View its the defrost heater. its mounted at the bottom of the coils. heres a link where you can order it.