Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Tyler, I am in the refrigeration business, and have been since

Customer Question

Tyler, I am in the refrigeration business, and have been since the mid-80's, but I have never run across a inverter controlled compressor on a residential refrigerator until tonight. My Pastor and his wife own a Whirlpool GC3SHEXNS00 date code 11-04, and tonight they came home to a wet floor and melted freezer contents. I don't know the first thing to check on this baby, all I can tell you is that the compressor(Embraco VEGY 7H) has ~6.4 ohms on all three windings, and is cool to the touch. The condenser fan is running. I read a lot this evening about the Embraco inverter controls(VCC3 1156 08 A 02) going bad. How can I confirm this is the problem?

Reo
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

It sounds like you've done all the tests and can even guess what the problem is. That being said, all inverter compressors should have the same resistance between any combination of the 3 pins on the compressor. Yours checks good and it's cool to the touch which means it's not getting power. Since the condenser fan motor is running, that means that the refrigerator is trying to cool, but since the compressor isn't getting power, your inverter board is just bad---you'll need to replace the inverter board to fix this problem.

In the future when you run into this situation, so all the exact same tests and that will let you know whether you have a thermostat/control problem (if no fan is running and the compressor is cold), if the compressor is bad (windings don't ohm out or compressor is hot yet not running), or the inverter board is bad such as in this case.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
now the condenser fan isnt running. Bad fan, or something else?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Check power to the condenser fan motor. Either you have a bad condenser fan motor or a bad control board if that fan doesn't run. If you don't have 120 volts going to the fan motor, you'd need a new control board.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I bumped the control box(the one inside the metal box next to the inverter box) and the fan started running. Can you say "LEMON?" Methinks Whirlpool oops'd on this model... Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
No problem and glad it's back and running again.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Its not running. Obviously something wrong with yet another $200 control board... The fan ran about 30 seconds then quit.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Oh I see what you mean. I thought you meant you bumped it and it came back on.