John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I have an old GE Electric Range (model JSP31wot1ww) thats

I have an old GE Electric Range (model JSP31wot1ww) that's at least 18 years old. Just today the bake setting can't get the temperature about 100 but if I set the broil on HI, it gets to 475. I switch back to bake and the temperature drops down to about 300.
Hi I,m John i will help you with the oven problem.
Do both elements get red when set to the bake setting ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Neither. I just tried. 5 min on bake and temp only 125. Moved it to broil=hi and top element is red. Looking at the bottom element, it looks like its loose or even broken. The plate its connected to is loosened from the back.

I can't check anything else on it tonight. I have to leave for work

It appears that the element is broken, when you get a chance unplug the range and remove the element and replace it with this one, I,m sure it will fix the problem, open this link for the part number and a video on hoe to replace the bake element, If you require more assistance let me know please .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Any instructions on removing the element? I ordered it already. Do I have to do any work from behind the range? I can shut power off at breaker box

If you shut the power off at the breaker box, you can then remove the two screws holing the element in and pull the bake element out gently till you see the two wires connected to the element, remove those two screws holding the wires on to the element and reverse the procedure to install the new element .
if you require more assistance let me know please .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

From inside the range or the back

Sorry I was out walking my two Springr spaniels, you remove the two screws on the element plate from inside the oven .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I installed the element on Saturday and all is good. Thanks

The only thing i need to do is find good screws to fasten the unit. 1 screw was missing and the other one won't hold. any suggestions on screw size or options? I was just gonna go to home depot with the screw and get one a little bigger since it looks like the hole widened a tad.

Thats what to do , take the screw with you and get one size bigger and get a self tapping screw it will be a stronger hold on the element plate. if you require more assistance let me know please.