Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Maytag Neptune Dryer md55 Hi, we dried some sneakers in the

Maytag Neptune Dryer md55 Hi, we dried some sneakers in the dryer-- the door came open and the dryer stopped. Won't restart. No electrical issues. Pulled plug overnight, no luck. Drum can be turned by hand. Console lights are on but don't respond. Surely there must be a reset of some type, even if only taking the console off and pulling its power cable. As all now know this dryer is a dog. I fear the first thing a repair guy would say is that console module is gone; if i have to do that, i'd rather go back to the mark 1 analog top-loading dryers that lasted me for 10 years each. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. can you open the door and get us the full model number off the tag?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes, please stand by

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
no problem
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Bryan, MDE5500AYW Ser 72799378ja One other piece of info, tho i don't think its relevent to the immediate problem. The felt gasket, which was replaced a few years ago, is sticking out in several places. one piece, about 5 inches long, is actually hanging into the tub. I know this needs to be replaced, but trying to see what the immediate problem is to decide to junk this whole thing.

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
okay perfect . So all the lights works and you can set the cycle but when you press start it does nothing ? Am I understanding correctly ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sorry, no. The start pause is blinking. pressing it has no effect. the cycles are stuck where they were last set (sensor dry). Lights are steady, but pressing has no effect. The door switch works

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
okay so the control itself is not responding. would you by chance have a volt meter ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

i can get one at the autozone quickly––– 30 mins. Just about everything in the house is broken. This is DC; huge bucks rehabbing an old house. my wife put in so called top of the line appliances everywhere. everywhere they break. I've fixed all three motors in LG fridge. Dunno how exactly to use voltmeter on this–– but built Navy Aircraft Carriers for 30 years. Reckon i can read.

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
LOL okay . I can wait. using the meter isn't bad I can walk you through it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Quick check with autozone-- no voltmeters. 837 pm local, so Home Depot tomorrow. that's ok with me if you. Many types and some steep prices. Here's a link from Amazon of low end. two leads and a meter, correct?

http://www.amazon.com/DT830B-Digital-Voltmeter-Ammeter-Multimeter/dp/B005KGCI0Y/ref=pd_sim_hi_1

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
that meter is fine and tomorrow is fine for me. have a great night, talk tomorrow , Bryan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

one quick question: this is a tennis show bonking cause-- u thinking the drop across a switch can be an effect? The thing seems to be just sitting there stupifyed after the door was knocked open.

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
well they shouldn't be able to hit any switches although they may have knocked something loose banging around. you said the door switch is working ? how do you know ? have you opened the front to check the wiring on the door switch. ?
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
Do you still need help? I haven't heard back from you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

hi-- yes we need help. i had a bit of trouble returning to the site. I have the voltmeter. its 1:27 am local so we'll do this tomorrow, but of ud like to tell us what to do, we can begin asap and report back to you

regarding the door switch, if door is shut or pin held in; we get lights (though stuck); vive versa, we get nothing at all.

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
first thing you need to check is the door switch. check it for continuity. the second thing is the thermal fuse. video click that link for a video on how to test continuity.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Bryan, I apologize for the delay. I am sure in your business many people try for free advice; this is not so here. My health is a bit precarious just now; i thought i could do this, but seeing the scope-- essentially taking the dryer apart–– i just can't do it. My son is coming this weekend. I'm going to release the funds to you now, however, as a matter of good faith and appreciation. We can manage walking through the switches from the various videos, but it looks to me like taking the drum out to replace this felt gasket is a really big job. If i were to buy a new washer and give all this up, what are your recommendations? Thank you.

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
I would buy whirlpool if your going to replace them they are about the best on the market now days. I wish you the very best and thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.