Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi, I have a Victory commercial refrigerator and I need to

I have a Victory commercial refrigerator and I need to get some information on making it more efficient and quieter. I think the compressor is about 20 years old.

A friend has said to simply replace the compressor and move the compressor and condenser unit outside.

Do I simply replace the compressor with the exact same one (Tecumsah AEA4440YXA) or is it possible to swap out to a different brand/model that is more efficient?

Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 12 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So I'm not sure who actually sells parts in Costa Rica for Victory brand refrigerators, but you will need to order the same part number Tecumsah AEA4440YXA. This unit is getting a bit old now so it's possible that the part has changed over to a more universal compressor, but when you talk to the parts supplier, they'll let you know if there is a newer part number for your particular unit. Either way, you actually order the part based on your model and not just any compressor would work. Only the compressor designed for this unit would work.

Now as far as moving the compressor and condensing unit outside, that will change the efficiency of the compressor if the copper tubing is lengthened, so I'm really not sure how effective that would be. Replacing the compressor after 20 years will make it quieter and more inefficient however.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

OK. I've actually found a replacement compressor (TECUMSEH AEA4440YXA) in the states and can have it shipped down here for about $100.

I think I may install the new compressor in the refrigerator and see how it sounds. If it still too loud, we can re-adress relocating it (about 10 feet).

Do you recommend swapping out the coils/condenser as well?

No, there is no need to replace the condenser or coils unless you're changing types of freon. Just the compressor is probably the best solution.

If you do lengthen the compressor distance, you will need to fill up the freon based on pressure to make sure you have the correct amount since it will require a bit more.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thanks Tyler. Feel much better about making the purchase.

No problem and I wish you only the best!
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.