Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Kenmore 400 series dryer. When I push the start button,

I have a Kenmore 400 series dryer. When I push the start button, the dryer does not run but I do get a buzzing sound. I can spin the drum by hand and it rotates freely. Where do I start in my diagnosis and repair of this problem?
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Can you open the door and get me the full model number ? its will start with a 3 digit prefix like 110,106,665, or some other combo.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan, I am not able to get that information till later today. I will send the model number to you. In the meantime, any initial suggestions?

Is the buzz loud when you try to start this ? does it sound like the buzz is from the motor? try this if you get the chance. have someone hold the door switch button in for you while you press start and spin the drum. see if it starts. can you do that later ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sure I will try that later. Sounds like you are focusing on the motor initially. If it does not begin to turn, where do I look next?

yes I am. the start winding in the motor are most likely bad and that's the issue. however the only way to fix that is replace the motor. lets see if it starts when you try that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan, the model number is XXXXX It is a Kenmore Series 400. I did hold the start switch, door switch and turned the drum. The drum did begin to turn and stayed turning. When I tried it a second time without pushing the drum, the machine just buzzed.

Okay understood. So I am correct your motor start windings are bad. when the motor starts it uses one set of windings but once the motor centrifugal switch engages the run winding take over . that's why it will stay running once you spin the drum and get this going. So your motor needs to be replaced. Drive Motor 279827 Main Product View now I am going to give you a link to the motor so you can watch the video on how to replace it but to order this call(NNN) NNN-NNNNand give them this number when ordering (9047) they will give you a price you cant beat. original motor for this. (new) the motor part number you need to order is Manufacturer Number 279827, for the discount don't forget to give them that (9047) number. the price with the code will be $76.95 compared to $103.60 so you save a lot. heres the video link Video thanks and very best wishes. Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry Did you send a reply ? it was blank. Do you need more help ?Let me know. Thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I hit the send in error. I sent you a second set of questions. I can resend if needed.

yes please resend them, I didn't receive them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When trying to disconnect the fan from the motor, the plasctic end of the fan got chewed up. Do you have the part number for a replacement fan? Also any suggestions how to get the old fan off the shaft. Online there are less expensive motors to be found. Do you know if these lessor priced motors are OEM and of the quality of the part you recommended?

okay lets start with the blower wheel. heres a video on how to remove the blower wheel. the blower wheel is around $20.00 at that link. or you can order it at the number I gave you and it would probably be less than that if you use the code 9047. as far as the motor goes you found motors for under $76.00 ? if so are they OEM ? I cant tell you if their any good or not, they may be but I just cant say. you can also call that number I gave you and they are honest and will tell you. they may even have the after market ones I just didn't ask. that number again is 800-540-0800 and its call appliance parts center. remember the promo code 9047.