Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands

Washer would agitate and drain but made grinding noise and

Customer Question

Washer would agitate and drain but made grinding noise and wouldn't spin. I tilted machine on side and took out gearcase and motor in one piece and put on floor with pump off. I plugged in and set to spin. The motor hums but I see nothing moving. When motor was still on the machine, I looked underneath and the clutch wasn't moving at all. I just replaced the clutch a few months ago and it moves freely back and forth. I replaced the motor coupler today, put it all back together and still no spin. I am a female and was proud of myself up til this point. What now? thank you!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 10 months ago.

Repairman1981 :

If you went that far I would unhook the motor and see if the motor will turn on its own. AT LEAST see if it spins by hand freely.

Repairman1981 :

If it spins by hand freely and not under power then you probably have a bad start cap or a bad winding. Most whirlpool washers have a separate start cap you can replace separately. Part number will be on it

Repairman1981 :

If the cap is good and it still won't spin .... you have a bad motor

Customer:

Im going to go try that, need a minute

Repairman1981 :

The grinding noise is what worries me. I would assume the motor will work fine when off the transmission which would make the problem be the transmission

Customer:

its all still connected to the gear case. are gear case and transmission the same thing?

Repairman1981 :

yes

Repairman1981 :

If it's still connected you can move the motor coupler by hand

Repairman1981 :

It should move one way and just kinda unlock the clutch you replaced, the other direction should agitate

Customer:

im moving it with machine unplugged, coupler turns both directions. now when i plug in, it's dead, no humming nothing.

Repairman1981 :

Is the lid switch closed?

Customer:

yes did I blow the motor

Repairman1981 :

I'm not thinking so, but how long did it buzz? There is a thermal overload that will shut it down a while.

Repairman1981 :

EVERYTIME I have seen this it's a bad cap

Repairman1981 :

However it can be the motor

Repairman1981 :

Do you have a volt meter with a cap setting?

Customer:

how hard to replace the motor and no volt meter

Repairman1981 :

you have done more work than you have to. The motor is easier to change than dropping the transmission

Repairman1981 :

Make sure no wires are unhooked and if everything is hooked up I would change the cap first (less than 20 bucks) usually

Repairman1981 :

Then if that doesn't work do the motor

Repairman1981 :

Cheaper to buy the cap than a meter

Customer:

what/where is the cap? like I said it agitated, drained but wouldnt spin and made loud noise. motor coupler new.

Customer:

will motor eventually come back on, yes it was a little warm to the touch

Repairman1981 :

The cap is either mounted on the side of the motor or the back wall of the case about halfway up

Repairman1981 :

The cap can cause that also, but if it's getting to hot it's either the motor or cap ... ASSUMING the pump is off the front. I can't tell you how many times I pull a sock out of the pump

Repairman1981 :

you stated it was off though

Customer:

no didn't take hose off. still confused what cap you are talking about sorry! just a mom here =)

Repairman1981 :

Without a model I can't post a pic .. it's a round cylinder that has 2 red wires going into it it's either mounted right on the side of the motor or on the back wall

Repairman1981 :

VERY rarely it's in the control panel area. But ALL of them have a cap

Customer:

back wall of...?

Customer:

motor still not coming on

Repairman1981 :

the washer ... if your under it with the transmission out ... it would be the back wall about halfway up under the water valve

Customer:

well I kept cabinet on so I can't see but I do know my black and white floater thingy is just hanging, not attached to anything and i didn't know what it was supposed to attach to. Is that the water valve?

Customer:

so im really looking for 2 red wires attached to something?

Repairman1981 :

not sure about a black and white floater thingy .... if you have the cover on you won't be able to access the cap. I'm not saying for sure the cap is bad .... what I'm saying is the motor is very pricey ... I wouldn't change it until you change the cap

Repairman1981 :

Do you see how to separate the motor from the transmission?

Repairman1981 :

I would do that and see if it runs to rule out a bad transmission

Repairman1981 :

I doubt that is it but I like being certain when giving an answer

Customer:

yes okay I guess i will put back together and look for this cap. what does the cap do? are you pretty sure that's my problem? not asking for guarantee that's it.

Repairman1981 :

I'm saying from what your describing it's either the cap or the motor. The cap is so cheap I would try it on a hunch

Customer:

oh and see if what runs when separated? the motor or the transmission?

Repairman1981 :

If I'm right I'm saving you 150 ... if I'm wrong it's only 20 more

Repairman1981 :

Nevermind that it's late

Repairman1981 :

You have checked that turning the coupler

Repairman1981 :

The transmission isn't your issue

Customer:

okay so the only thing im worried about if have to replace motor is the wires, some are connected all in one piece and others look more complicated

Repairman1981 :

There should if I know which machine your talking about only be 1 white rectangle connector

Repairman1981 :

If there are other wires (2 red) :)that should be the cap

Repairman1981 :

it's mounted on the side usually

Repairman1981 :

There shouldn't be any other wires you have to change it's a unplug replug thing

Customer:

oh yeah duh sorry. okay im going to google "motor cap" for whirlpool washer and call whirlpool in am to get my model number, I know its registered. no red wires anywhere but I guess I have to put it all back together and take cabinet off to find it. thank you.

Repairman1981 :

no problem. If you get a model number I'm happy to help with any diagrams or anything like that you need. Heck I can even supply parts for them. I'm truly an expert on this model. I can pull down and replace a tub or transmission in less than 20 mins. And have almost every part other than model specific timers on the van

Customer:

it couldn't be drive basket? I have been online all night. should have come to you first!

Repairman1981 :

These are my bread and butter

Repairman1981 :

Everything past the coupler is tested by moving the coupler

Repairman1981 :

If you can move it freely both ways that rules out the transmission, coupler, brake, drive basket etc

Repairman1981 :

IF you get the motor running you may find some of that not working .... I say this because of the" grinding noise" you mentioned

Repairman1981 :

But if you can't get the motor to run you really can't even test it further other than moving by hand

Customer:

oh good to know. It grinded when the machine was upright and hummed when the motor was out and machine on it's side. does that mean anything to you? my email isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX if you are interested in finding out if this momma figured it out. im giving up until morning, thanks!!

Repairman1981 :

It sounds to me like the motor or cap ... that pretty much is 100% for sure. Without a meter you can't check the cap so start there. Your email was greyed out .... however my company is www.allbetterappliance.com and you can email me through there. Remember though I'm not supposed to trade any personal info with you so let me know through here if you don't mind. I just gave you that in case you have trouble returning to this chat, or if you need to call or anything. Thanks!

Repairman1981 :

Also the number for where I buy my parts is on my website

Repairman1981 :

The 800 number

Repairman1981 :

There is no charge to return to this chat btw ... I do repairs all day so it's usually evening's i'm on here but you can return anytime for free for this issue

Repairman1981 :

Don't hesiatate to ask if you have more info or need more help. Thanks! have a great rest of your evening

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX give you an excellent rating right now

Repairman1981 :

I appreciate it. Thanks!

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

So I finally figured out "cap" was the capacitor lol and I ordered the part and just put it in. Before the motor did hum, now with new cap, it does nothing. help!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Update - I took it apart again and felt like I got motor coupler on perfectly. now it's back to making loud noise on spin for a few seconds and then motor goes right to hum. The coupler spins easily both directions by hand. Nothing wrong with lid switch, put in new dawgs. I've invested so much time in this I hate to give up. what to check now?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I plugged in with cabinet on and tilted machine to look underneath. Motor humming but nothing moves at all.

Bad motor then, nothing else it can be .... if you can move it by hand and it moves fine, new cap on it. It's a bad motor. I wish the cap would have worked it does about 90% of the time for me. Do you need any part numbers or pricing?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Sorry! Need more help....so I got a motor from ebay and it stopped the hum but now I am back to grinding noise and no spin. I have checked the motor coupler a dozen times. What am I doing wrong??

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Update - went back to motor coupler, got it flush with drive shaft and grinding noise is gone, now it makes a squealing noise and still wont spin! help!!